1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by politemusic, May 28, 2007.

1. politemusic

politemusic New Member

I've been on here several weeks, posting research questions, studying up. Finally, last weekend, I pulled the trigger. There are SO many Toyota dealerships around the LA area, and I finally found the deal I wanted with the car in stock...I got a package #2 Magnetic Gray for $21,300. A pretty good deal, I think. Paid cash, took about an hour.

The car is really a surprise. I can't believe how nicely it's put together. My previous car was a 2003 VW Passat GLS wagon...a nice car, fun to drive, pretty comfortable (though the Prius seats are better, frankly). But my combined lifetime MPG was about 21-22. Ouch. But I'm a musician, and figured I needed a wagon (particularly for my upright bass). That was until my friend came over in his new Prius, folded down the seats, and fit my upright in there even more easily than my Passat with its very cumbersome back seat fold down procedure!

Out of the gate, my first tank in the Prius was 50.0MPG, with about 70% highway driving (took the wife and 2 year old daughter to Sea World in San Diego). I'm 100 miles into my 2nd tank, getting about 51. Wow!! Plus the power steering is more progressive, the ride is better, and, as I said the seats are more comfortable, than my Passat. Nice.

I have a little buyers remorse not going for package #5 (which would be about $23,500), but what the hell. I don't NEED the Nav, and I am definitely going to upgrade the speakers and possibly get an amp, thereby rendering moot (hopefully) my need for the JBL system. I was quite interested in buying the car to save money on gas AND to buy a car that is very economical to purchase, so package #2 seemed to fit the bill best in that regard.

Of course the first thing I did was remove the backup and seatbelt beeps! Then, I pumped up my tire pressure to about 40/38.

Next, I'll be tinting, and getting some speakers replaced at Audio Advice in La Crescenta.

Then, since I live in an area with some occasional car break-ins happening, I thought I'd figure out a way to activate the existing alarm, and install the Glass Breakage Sensor. Is there anybody in SoCal who might have some advice as to where to go to get that done?

I sure like this car. Looking forward to the long haul.

Best,
    Justin
    LA, CA

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, congrats on your purchase! I think you might be one of the rare few that prefers the Prius over a VW vehicle in terms of comfort and ride/handling.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) CONGRATULATIONS... You will have so much fun discovering all the 'goodies' built in to your Prius.

I, too, am musically involved, sing in a 100-voice chorus, church choir... and I can 'fit' the 'singing instrument' (ME) easily into my Prius; however, I can't fit my grand piano in **SIGH**. I played the Sousaphone in High School and French Horn in College Orchestra, but that was long before the Prius.

Now, not only can you haul your Tuba easily, but can save fuel and reduce pollution in the act.

CIAO

4. politemusic

politemusic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 28 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]451024[/snapback]</div>
    My Passat seats just didn't do it for me; they were just not the right fit. Plenty of support, but they just were not comfortable; I would get fatigued from them much sooner on a long drive. I'm slim and 6'0", so I don't know why they didn't work very well. I was always using a small cushion under my butt. The ride on the Passat IS quieter, but it also has a lot of sway back and forth. Also, just didn't feel nimble; the Prius suits me better, I do not know!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, Justin, congratulations on your new car! If you get ambitious, do a Search on sound deadening and you can find ways to cut the road noise. The OEM tires are a major contributer. Many tires will provide a quieter ride. In LA you don't have the weather related problems the OEM tires bring, but changing when the time is right will make a big difference.

6. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Thanks, Bill.

My guy at Audio Advice has extensive experience installing Dynamat-type stuff in Prius door panels, which I'll have him do during the speaker swap...most definitely! I appreciate what you are saying about the tires; sounds to me like there is a big consensus on these boards that the stock Integrities leave a lot to be desired, particularly in the treadwear department. So yes, I'll definitely be switching to some Michelin MXV's or something of the like and get a good upgrade going...but probably not for about 20k-30k miles, obviously. :)

Best,
    Justin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 28 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]451340[/snapback]</div>

7. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on the car, and great choice of color! :lol:

The Pri is a great musician's car. I love playing upright bass but I don't have my own. My hatch has been great for hauling the banjo, guitar, elec. bass and amp around though.

We were at Sea World in November--awwwww memories.

Eric

8. politemusic

politemusic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ May 29 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]451490[/snapback]</div>
    Nice...yeah, the Prius is an underrated musician's car, for sure. The musicians I know that have it rave about it, because 1) it's so easy to get stuff in and out of such a big hatch, and 2) the seats fold down with minimal fuss. Very cool.

9. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Update:

I still love my car. :D Fun to drive, comfortable, easy. And what a genius climate control! Speaking of, I've been using the A/C more on my second tank, so that might be contributing to my slightly lower average MPG which is now 47.5, down from 50. But I've still got half a tank to go.

Had the windows tinted, speakers installed, accumat installed, and a few of the most basic mods. Next for me is possibly a DICE unit, and possibly a sharkfin antennae.

The car is settling in perfectly, and I sure appreciate this discussion group for all the help

Best,
    Justin

Attached Files: