1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rlafosse, Jun 18, 2007.

1. rlafosse

rlafosse New Member

I just purchased my 2007 Prius (Pine Color) option 2 yesterday and it is wonderful. I do have a questions for the seasoned Prius owners. What should my MPG be during the so called "break-in period", I am currently getting 35mpg and it is kind of depressing? I do mostly highway driving and some city. Should the "break-in period" end around 600miles? Besides the MPG issues, the car is incredible!
    Thanks

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saitoh7 @ Jun 18 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]463992[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PriusChat!
    Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a stump, and dig in :)

Your MPG will rise for awhile, as your tires break in (rolling resistance decreases after about 600-800 miles), as the engine breaks in (first 600-800 miles [I've seen advice to avoid cruise control during this time. I didn't, but maybe I should have]), and as you learn how to best work with your new car (that could take you anywhere from 10 to 10,000 miles).

I strongly suggest having a journal, and tracking every gas fillup, and the mileage, and doing the calculations manually. With the gas tank bladder, the actual amount of gas you can put in every time will vary, so the only way to track the MPG is by doing an average over several tanks. The MFD (multi-function display) shows you MPG, but that may be off by a mile or two either way.

Best thing to do is use the best gas for it (87 octane, I personally prefer Shell), when you get your first oil change go with synthetic, and make sure that your tire pressure is correct. It is amazing how far off the pressure can be on a brand-new car! I personally run 40/38 in my tires, but others here run 42/40, or even the recommended pressure (which, at the moment, I can't remember, but it's on the door post inside the driver's door of your car)... just make sure that all the tires are at the right pressure.

Have fun :)

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After 1000 mile break-in period your mpg will increase as mentioned before. There's a whole forum devoted to such tips with better spelled out and explained ideas than the following

Some tips/ideas/experiences I recently received here or realized myself.

1a) When having to use the engine, drive so that the MPH is never more than double than your instant mpg figure on your energy screen.
    This is advice for the highway.

1b) When the engine is working your mpg should not be higher than 75mpg. Above that the engine is used very inefficiently and without need. This is the case where you want to be driving on battery (yellow arrows only) and is more feasible when going slightly downhill. I believe this is known as "warp stealth" here.

1c) Even when driving >41mph there is a pedal pressure point that permits for the most efficient no-arrows state. Look for it.

1d) Look for the a orange arrow only state when driving on the engine

1e) Know your routes and anticipate when you can practice each of these.

2) Break progressively and at a constant deceleration rate to a stop so that you regenerate as much as possible.

3) Find roads with 35-40mph limit and use those for your commute if possible. That way you can use your this "no-arrow" (some call it deadband) condition which is easy for speeds below 41mph.

4) Modest hills are your friends as you can find the "no-arrows" condition more easily.

5) High tire pressure and patience are your friends.

6) Short commutes will yield less mpg because the engine doesn't have enough time to warm up and be at its most efficient. If you are looking to get more than 50mpg on a 4 mile commute you'll be disappointed.

My tanks have been getting better progressively: 45 > 48 > 52 > 54 and now it looks even better. I have an 8 mile commute, and 6 miles to the gym. I use 44/44psi and the A/C is low and set to 78 after the car initially cools down.

4. rlafosse

rlafosse New Member

I am already at half a tank and only about 110 miles on the car. I thank all of you for your insight, it really makes me feel better.

5. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't worry so much about your first tank, as experience shows you probably didn't get a true full tank of gas to start. Read up on the many MPG tips on this site and you should be cruising to better mileage in no time.
    Just remember the car is what you make of it. If you want to drive it like a normal car then you should expect MPG in the 40's, if you want to try some of the tips mentioned on here, with practice you can achieve MPG in the 60's. Have fun and good luck