1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by M.B.Galnew2Prius, Jul 14, 2009.

1. M.B.Galnew2Prius

M.B.Galnew2Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was coming around the time of getting rid of my 07 Mercedes E class for a new car, and decided to get the Prius, for various reasons... gas, and it's more environmental friendly. I really love my Prius, my only complaint is that they ran out of the models so fast. Originally, I was going to get the Prius V, but it didn't come with the solar roof, so I opted for the IV. I'm not a fan of red, but they didn't have silver, black, or white... so my choices were very limited. People put holding fee's on some of them, and I literally had a hard time just finding the right model. I eventually just caved into the red, and I can overlook the color because the car is fabulous. I love it, sure it's different in appearance, and performance compared to my Mercedes, but I couldn't be happier. Now, If I can only convince my fiance to get rid of his new Range Rover. I don't want to force him, I don't believe in that... but maybe he will come around one day.

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the service at your local Land Rover dealership, but I despised taking my LR in for servicing (my dealer was Land Rover Glen Cove here on Long Island, NY). Loaners are hard to come by, you have to reserve them early in the day (like 7AM) to get one, and if you don't have a loaner you are stuck at the dealership lounge for 4 hours for them to do their thing.

Then there are all the maintenance costs just sucking the money out of my wallet at an alarming rate-- $900 to replace just the brake pads, annoying little problems like the fuel filler cap overexpansion during hot days that prevents the cap from screwing in all the way (which causes the Check Engine light to come on), $100 for a set of wiper blades, $1000 per set of OEM tires.. Regular servicing to lube the diffs, change the tranny fluid and radiator coolant, etc.

And my parents wondered why I ditched my Land Rover for an '07 Prius. The savings in maintenance was incredible-- Just an oil change every 5,000 miles, no brake pad changes, no diffs to lube, coolant that lasts 8 years, which means I get to visit the dealer AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. To me, THAT's luxury!

Only if your fiancee knew. :D

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats to the OP!

Yeah, tell me about the brake pad changes. :/ I had my fronts on my Z replaced and IIRC brake fluid flushed at ~26K miles (would have to dig up receipts for cost). My rears finally had to get replaced at 48k. The pad replacement + turning the rotors was almost $300. :(

I expect my Prius to not need a brake job until somewhere past 100K miles.