1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by teamjdb, Sep 5, 2009.

1. teamjdb

teamjdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been lurking in PriusChat for a while now, and I went to test drive a third generation IV on July 24th (which, by the way, was the day the Cash for Clunkers fiasco started). Before I sat foot on the lot I decided that I would not pay for any of the Gulf State Toyota add-ons, so I planned to order one if the test drive was a good experience. I fell in love with the car, and liked the way the salesman treated me. When I arrived at the dealership, there were 4 2010 Prius' on the lot. Shortly after I finished my test drive, they had all been sold. The activity at the dealership was nothing short of a frenzy, so I took a brochure, the salesman's card, and left.

I spent a couple of weeks getting my old car sold and deciding which package and what options I wanted, then went back to the dealership, Street Toyota in Amarillo, Texas, and put in an order for a package V with Advanced Technology. We wrote up a contract for a sale at $500.00 over invoice, and I put down a deposit with the assurance that the check would not be cashed. I've been eagerly awaiting notification of a VIN number, then earlier this week Toyota announced that the PHEV plug-in option would be available in the not to distant future.

As luck would have it, the dealership took a one-owner 2005 package III in trade several weeks ago, so I decided to buy it to learn the fine art of hybrid ownership and wait a year or two for supply and demand to return the Prius market to a sensible state.

I'm now the proud owner of a Driftwood Pearl 2005 package III that indicated a respectable 58.3 mpg on the MFD in 160 miles of mostly interstate highway driving on the trip home. I think I can honestly say that the fuel economy would not have been nearly that good had I not been soaking up the experience-based knowledge from the many regulars here on PriusChat.

I heartedly recommend Chris Campbell at Street Toyota in Amarillo, Texas, for an enjoyable, low pressure sales experience. :)

2. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Teamjdb, Welcome to active PriusChat participation. I had looked at a used Prius on a Ford lot. I don't remember the year because the Ford dealership was the classic high pressure, greet you before you get your car parked, wouldn't leave you alone on the lot, and wanted a $6,300.00 premium for the Fusion Hybrid.

I do remember thinking I liked the 2010 interior better than whatever year this was. There seemed to be more control over the GenIII. How are you finding the 2005 compared to what you remember of the 2010? --TK

3. teamjdb

teamjdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TKY, I think I like the interior better on the 2005. The instrument display is larger, and the style of the console is much more traditional. I'm one of those who sometimes needs to reach over into the passenger floorboard for a can of peanuts or something, and you just can't do that on the 2010. The ride handling and power on the Generation III is much improved, though.