1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by rck17, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rck17

rck17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :cheer2:Hi everyone. My husband and I just purchased a new 2011 Prius 3 about a week ago. We love it so far. A lot different from or Jeep of 10 years, and the MPG's are great. We have this site and the members here to thank for all the wonderful information. It made us know more about the Prius than the salesman, so THANK YOU! Now to look for accessories, and maybe that extended warranty that was so overpriced at the dealership. We have bought these in the past and have been upset at all the exclusions in the contract. It just so happened that these were always the parts that seemed to go out.I am for it, my husband is on the fence.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! What is your daily commute like?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations. I also came from a Jeep and really enjoyed filling up the Prius every 10 days or so for about $25-30 versus the Jeep every 5 days for $50+.

5. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased the platinum warranty at the dealership, and have used it to replace the nav head unit for free. No labor or parts charges. I have also seen the prices on the ECUs that the Prius uses, and the platinum covers all of them, I think. You won't need it for much else in my personal experience. If you sell the car, then the balance of the warranty gets paid back to you in cash. That happened on my Prius purchase from a Venza warranty. I got like $600 back. Have fun, and post some pros and cons of switching to the new ride (I know there won't be any cons, I was just kidding.) :)

6. dstrauss

dstrauss 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Touring

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Another newbie here (2 days in a 2009). I realize the onscreen mpg may be a bit off, but seeing it roll up to 40.1 mpg in the first 100 miles was nearly a cardiac event after averaging 12-14 mpg around town in my ancient (1997) GMC suburban. Only question so far - how long does it take to get over the "my engine just died sitting at the stop light" feeling?

7. RikM

RikM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm starting to get past it at about two weeks. I still get moments of "eek, it's moving without an engine!", though.
    Still tense in the left leg. It's going to take me a bit longer to get used to not having a clutch.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Your regular warranty will do all it needs to do ... for years to come. Don't EVEN consider the extended warranty until you're closing in on the 36K mile / 3 year warranty. If you buy one at all, don't do it until then. Why hand over your hard earned cash until you actually need it? It's been posted and re-posted - time and time again.

. . . . and welcome!

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Your regular warranty will do all it needs to do ... for years to come. Don't EVEN consider the extended warranty until you're closing in on the 36K mile / 3 year warranty. If you buy one at all, don't do it until then. Why hand over your hard earned cash until you actually need the product that you're buying? It's been posted and re-posted - time and time again.

. . . . and welcome!

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome To Prius!
    My 2010 Prius just saw 36,000 miles come and go uneventfully. No extended warranty for me. I give my Prius great maintenance. Instead of 10,000 mile oil changes, I give it 5,000 mile changes. I changed the transaxle oil at 30,000 instead of the recommended 60,000 miles. And, I found a great independent Prius garage, the Luscious Garage in San Francisco.

11. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe it is cause I don't notice the sound nearly as much unless I push the engine... I don't really notice it as much when it goes off. That and maybe also having a little fun driving an electric cart over at the University for a little bit that I have gotten used to it in a week and a half.

I do get a kick as one of my coworker went, "woah... I got to get use to that... I thought the engine died."

12. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I just passed one month in my Prius and now when I stop I am wondering why the engine did not die.

Can't wait for warmer weather.