1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius review - Machine Design Magazine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mboileau, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

A co-worker passed on an article he found in the April 15th issue of Machine Design (he's a mechanical engineer). The article is in their editorial secition titled "Behind the Wheel". It has a large photo of the 04 Prius in Driftwood Pearl (my color!).

The article basically praises the car in all areas and comments on its unique and unusual added features and how it beats out the competition in these respects.

I do have a problem, as I've had with other reviews, about its claiming that the mileage estimates are highly exaggerated. Here's an excerpt...

"But I have begun to question the mileage numbers. While running late, a 40-mile city/hwy trip resulted in the best mileage to date: 43 mpg. This was after numerous near full-throttle accelerations and 75-mph highway speeds... Real-world average mpg has ranged from 38 to 43. Of course I did not expect to get the EPA 60/51 for city/highway but it would be nice if the numbers were better."

It infuriates me to see stomp-and-go guzzler drivers criticize the Prius because it won't maintain its estimates when abused. I honestly don't know what people expect. As for real-world averages, maybe I just live in a different world than the editor. My worst case mpg was 48 (my first tank) and I've been reliably getting 52-53 ever since.

One other button that the article pushed (and I'm not talking the Start button either) was the following:

"Overall, my only long-term concern is the cost of replacing the battery pack. Toyota is quoted as saying it's 'around $1,000' and I've heard numbers as high as $3,000."

Nowhere does she mention that the battery pack is designed to last at least 100,000 miles. Nor does she mention that this is also covered by the optional extended warranty.

Oh well, the article does praise the car, so I really shouldn't complain. I just hate to see the Prius get a bad rap when it's not deserved.

2. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ********I do have a problem, as I've had with other reviews, about its claiming that the mileage estimates are highly exaggerated. Here's an excerpt...

I think this and the battery points made are good ones. Clearly the allegation of battery cost claim without mentioning the significant warranty period or getting a direct quote from Toyota is poor journalism and misleading. I would encourage you to write a letter to the editor and suggest they stick to the facts and use opinions only when opinions are warranted.

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

Nice article, a lot better than the one my GF found in a Dutch magazine. The man who wrote the article was rather positive about the Prius, but he clearly hadn't read anything on the subject and only driven the car for a few hours (at most). He thought the CVT was a CVT like Honda (among other car manufacturers) uses: with some kind of belt. Also he stated that the car would probably not be able to pull a caravan. If he'd read the brochure Toyota (the Netherlands) provides he could have read that a caravan coupling (right word) isn't even an option.

Ah well, at least the article was positive :)

5. jasond

jasond New Member

I sent a letter to the editor praising the article but questioning those two points (i.e. the battery concern and the poor mileage)

I'm at 60.8 mpg 52 miles into this tank... Previous record tank is about 51, so I'm psyched :)

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For us US folks, caravan would be a Trailer, and a coupling would be the trailier hitch. :)

7. bigal

bigal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just what driving do you do to get your claimed mpg?
    I'm getting just about what you quote from "Machine Design Review". Since I'm a new owner with just over 600 miles I'm not sure I'm on a trend, but I forsee not better than the current mpg that I'm getting now; that is around 42. I'm not necessarly a "stomper", I do maintain the freeway limits for surval sake. and I do accelerate on the entrance ramps to merge with traffic. In city traffic I coast to the traffic lights hoping they change so I can roll through. Basically I haven't changed my driving lifestyle.

Al

8. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've only got about 250 on my first tank (not a heavy driver), and the computer has been stuck at about 42-43 mpg. and a lot of that has been at upwards of 73 mph on interstates between home and the dealer. plus one floorboarded shot to get around a lady who didn't understand what "green" meant on a traffic signal. the little baby really scoots when you nail it....

from other postings here, we should see that go up after another 500-1000 miles of "break-in", plus warmer weather, that lets the engine control unit let the engine stay off more.

9. jasond

jasond New Member

I'll assume this possibly is in response to me as well as the original poster.

I just drive "friendly". I coast when possible, feather a lot, try to brake without engaging the brakes (not that I can tell exactly, but I mean I brake gently). I don't run the heat/AC above the lowest fan setting. I accelerate strongly when I need to speed up. I have my tires at 40/38, though I can't prove that helps. The warm weather is key.. I was only getting about 46 mpg on the same route in winter when the car needed heating.

Driving on highways at 70-75 mph definitely drops the mpg below 50, but not below 40 for me. This current 61 mpg tank includes no significant highway driving yet.. I try to avoid that anyway, just because I'm sick of highways. My preferred commute route is on 35-45 mph roads, slightly hilly, with maybe a dozen traffic lights total.

Also, things definitely get better with more miles, both because the car gets broken in and because the driver gets broken in. I've had the car almost 6 months now, 7100 miles.