1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius road noises is this common?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FishHawk, Jun 27, 2006.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Picked up my new Prius today and noticed a scraping sound and road noise. Could it be the cheap Goodyear tires or the new brakes? Has anyone experienced this ? Thanks FishHawk

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    umm... we'll need more information.

When does the sound occur? where do you think it's coming from? under what conditions? etc

As for road noise, it's not exactly a Lexus.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your perception of road noise will depend on your previous car.

The brakes in a Prius are used only below 8 mph, or if you press very hard on the brake pedal, calling for an emergency stop. Otherwise motor-generator 2 (MG2) slows the car by converting its kinetic energy into electrical energy to recharge the battery.

There should not be any scraping sound. Perhaps you should have it looked at.

I had a rattle when my Prius was new. Turned out to be my garage-door opener, which I found it convenient to put in the cup holder. Closing the top of the cup holder over the opener solved it.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I noticed road noise when I started driving our Prius, but only because the engine noise was so low. A lot of the perception of noise will depend on what type of car you are used to. That said, there shouldn't be any scraping sound.

Tom

5. I have noticed road noise, as well as engine noise and the MG charging noise.

im not sure if its because i now listen for it, or the car is actually getting louder. but a scraping noise, sounds like you should have you car looked at.

i am a little dishearten by road noise, so i am in the process of deadening the floor one day...

6. Rogust

Rogust New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheParadox @ Jun 27 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]277768[/snapback]</div>
    Just wondering how the "deadening" is going? Doing the doors after the floor?
    [email protected]

7. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rogust @ Jun 28 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]277950[/snapback]</div>
    The noise is not that consistent. I occurs when I'm turning slightly. I'll give it more time and if it continues I'll have them look at it. Could be a little rust on the disk brakes, we've had a lot of rain up here in Ma.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheParadox @ Jun 27 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]277768[/snapback]</div>
    Start by getting some decent tires. They don't have to be Comfortreds, but that's what I put on about two weeks after buying my car. Immense improvement in road noise as well as all other aspects of handling and cornering.

9. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The first thing I noticed whrn I picked mine up was the tire noise! POOO on the dealer for not cooperating about my tire upgrade.

Couldn't wait to get my michelin hydroedges ! !

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jun 28 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]278179[/snapback]</div>
    Immense improvement also in mpgs? <_<

11. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 28 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]278403[/snapback]</div>
    I detected no discernable difference. I keep mine at 40/38.

12. theorist

theorist Member

Since installing very quiet Continental ContiProContact tires, I'm hearing all sorts of sounds I didn't notice before. It's sort of nice to be able to hear the HSD at work.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try the clean-off-the-rotors trick -- do a slowdown in neutral,
    letting the physical brakes take all the load, and then see if
    that changes anything..
    _H*