1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Smart Key

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by reina, Jul 14, 2006.

1. reina

reina New Member

I made a mistake and bought the wrong key. It is the Smart Key with the silver logo on the back and apparently I need one with the black logo. The little key piece is uncut. The key came to me in the original Toyota packaging from a dealer in VA. I cannot return it because I ordered it online so I do not have an official Toyota receipt. I'm just sick about this because my husband lost his keys and we couldn't afford what our dealer wants so I found this online. Not such a money saver since it is the wrong one.
    I will sell it to you for exactly what I paid for it. $135 which will includes shipping. And if you can give me a tip on somewhere that might sell the key I Need for less than the $200 at the dealer, that would be great, too.
    Thanks

2. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reina @ Jul 14 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]286236[/snapback]</div>
    I really don't think the silver logo is what makes the distinction. I have a 2005 and my keys both have the silver logo on them (just checked!). My understanding is that the 2004 and 2005 keys are completely interchangable.

There was a change when they went to the 2006, but I also understand that those are backward compatible to the 2004-2005. The only incompatibility I know of is trying to use a 2004-2005 key on a 2006...that just won't work. So, as far as I know, ANY Prius smartkey will be compatible with your 2004.

There are several threads on this board that discuss this very subject.

Who told you that you got the wrong key for your 2004?

3. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The silver logo on the key IS for Prius equipped for the Smart Key System.
    The black logo on the key is for vehicles not equipped for Smart Key System.

We have one of each kind of Prius.