1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Taxi-driving Member

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ScottFrmGeorgia, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ScottFrmGeorgia

ScottFrmGeorgia Scott the Taxi Driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone. I just joined up today within a week of putting my recently acquired 2005 on the line as a taxi. Wish me luck in the endeavor.

Scott

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the cell phone pics - I'll try to get some better ones when my roomie gets back with her 7 megapixel camera

Attached Files:

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Scott. I presume you've read about some of the other Prius taxis around the world. Best of luck!

3. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great Luck to you Scott! I have often thought the Prius would make a great taxi! My best milage is when I am in the stop & go around town.

BTW, I heard last week that all taxis in San Francisco will be Hybids in 4 years by a city ordinance. Did I hear right?:noidea:

Lee

4. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

If it is true, it would explain why GM brought out that weak Malibu Hybrid.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! We have tons of Prius (and Camry Hybrid) cabs around here. Glad to see that other folks are jumping in too!

The Hybrid Experience Report

They haven't updated that site since 2005 but you can read up on the 2001 Prius with 410,000km (right now, we have 04/05 models with that kind of mileage already). You can also see the service record of the world's first hybrid (and Prius) taxi.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This post doesn't ring true to me. He claims to be a taxi driver, but yet he speaks English. I'm not buying it. :suspicious:

Tom

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

:drum:

8. My2008Prius

My2008Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The taxi looks great...

but wait... he learned his english from watching years of reruns of Three's Company, Dallas, Dynasty, Knot's Landing and Seinfeld.:)

9. oldseagull

oldseagull April Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck with downtown Atlanta traffic!

Do your riders notice the Prius difference?

JohnC :]

10. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Scott:

Welcome to Prius chat. I drove a taxi myself here in the Tampa Bay area from 2003 to 2006. I have a couple of questions I would like to ask you. I hope you don't mind....

Was it hard to get the meter installed as well as computer and radio due to limited space? Here in Tampa, cabbies have meters (as mostly everything is meter rate) and all dispacted calls come out via computer. So the dispacter is only used if there is some sort of problem.

How has luggage been? Have you had any issues? My main concern about using a Prius as a cab is if you get airport runs with three or four passengers. all w/ luggage. Most of the cabs here are Ford Crown Vics or Chevy Malibus. Some drive vans like the Dodge Astro. That being said, do you stand in line at ATL?

One piece of advice. Don't shut your car "off" inbetween fares while your sitting, especially if you don't need to run the A/C or heater. When you start a Prius, the ICE will run to get that catalytic converter running, even its for 30 sec. I hate that!! I think you will get very good gas mileage as you will probably have the car "on" for 10 to 12 hours a day and won't experience frequent warm-up periods and short trips. I wish you the very best of luck!!