1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenWithEnvy, Oct 6, 2009.

1. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been getting a lot of negative comments since I bought my 2010 Prius. Mostly from people that 1) have no idea what MY requirements in a new car were and 2) have never actually sat in or driven a Prius, let alone know there is a new model out which I would say is slightly more "mainstream" than the prior years.

It's also been quite a "downer" that my excitement about having a new car is often perceived as "smug-ness" on a new Prius owners part, so I find myself downplaying the entire event.

So far the top comments I have heard:

Yesterday:
    "So I suppose you think we should all look up to you now."
    [this left me speechless...]

Tonite:
    "How is your go-cart working out?"

It has me wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Is this the norm?

Thanks-

2. Yonessyo

Yonessyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's common. One of these folks once asked me to help her in a class presentation on the documentary "how they killed the electric car". Funny how after I got the prius, she's been all against it

3. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If they have something intelligent, helpful, or interesting to say, listen ... otherwise don't bother.

If they care, you might tell them that it is hardly electric at all, but still gets over 50 mpg on the freeway.

I like it, even WITH the "limited" Nav.

I might drive mine to the Portland area for Thanksgiving.
    I am proud of little "half dome".

4. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    People make all sorts of weird comments and assumptions. But once they find out that you just drove well over 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas it changes their tune...

Bryan

5. T-Dog

T-Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had mine about 2 weeks now and have not had a strange/off putting comment yet. I'm an aircraft mechanic and several of the people I work with have hybrids so the acceptance level of the technology at work is high. My last 3 round trips to O'Hare (approx 46 miles) I have averaged over 60 mpg. My second trip, about a block from home it was 66 mpg and I started laughing. This is my first hybrid and so far I love it. The day will come when someone somewhere will put there foot in there mouth but so what. I have ( and you) an amazing auto that is a blast!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My coworkers knew I was waiting for one. Then one day, a Prius started parking in the lot. I never said a word about it. A few days later someone mentioned that someone was parking a Prius in the lot and I said we should go key it. The next day someone saw me getting out of it and then word spread. When asked why I didn't say anything I replied, "it's just a car." This was in 2004. Even then, the smugness allegations were rampant and I intentionally didn't want to play into that.

I don't get such silly questions or comments anymore. When I did, I played along: "once you get past being shocked every time you drive it it's fine" and "yeah, the max speed is only 106 so I have a hard time keeping up." Depending on the person I will be either humorous or biting. I would agree with exactly whatever they were spewing and then when they would inevitably ask, "so that's really true?" I would say, "no, of course that's not really true; I just wanted to see if you actually believed that."

But I will say this, I have never had so many people ask me for so long how I like my car. As I said, it's been five years and people still ask how I like my Prius. If you are ever in a situation that you are driving coworkers to lunch, simply imply that those people should drive themselves so as to not have to subject themselves to riding in your "go cart."

7. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just tell them your thinking about buying a vacation home with all of the money you used to spend on gasoline, but do it in a friendly way, like your serious. Watch the look on their face.
    Most of these comments come from very "social" people. They drive what they drive because of the image they think it portrays, no other reason.
    Most normal people could care less if you actually drove a go cart or not.

8. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since buying my first Prius a little over a month ago, I have noticed that kids and people 60+ really like the car, albeit for different reasons. Kids like the technology and the fact that it is quiet. Seniors like the fuel economy, and a few (take into account where I live) appreciate the environmental benefits.

The reaction from most others ranges from "go cart" type comments to "I bet you think you are special" type comments, as they climb into their Tahoes and H2's.

Bottom line: I bought the car for me and my family. I'm not looking to impress, and I'm not looking to be controversial or edgy. If someone asks about my car or sees it on the road and learns to appreciate the environmental benefits and the fuel economy, all the better. I am more than willing to educate anyone willing to listen or learn.

9. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm actually surprised, because living in Southern California you see the Prius everywhere. Most people don't comment, but you're right, the people who do comment make fun of it. Even people whom I thought would be supportive, like other long-distance commuters, have been kind of negative.

And then of course there are those whose entire lives are informed by South Park so you know what they say.

I've never lived my life by someone else's rules, and I guess at the end of the day, I'll take the crapload of money I save on gas and laugh all the way to the bank.

10. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Response: Yes, I see you've finally learned your place:)!

Response: Just great! I won't be able to give you my gas mileage for a few weeks -- it uses so little fuel that it'll take quite a while before I need to fill up. Then I guess it'll cost me about $30.00 bucks or so to fill it. How about yours -- how often do you need to fill it? How much does it cost you?

Also, when you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic, does that engine vibration bother you as much as it used to bother me? The air conditioning cutting in and out used to drive me nuts. Of course, I don't feel anything now, since the engine doesn't run while the car is stopped, and my air conditioner is battery-driven. Yes, the smoothest engine is one that doesn't run...

Something you need to remember: At times, smug is good:rockon:.

11. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Texas is chock full of pick 'em ups, SUVs and 4-wheel drive vehicles that never make it off of a paved road.

Pre-Prius, I used to get upset when one would cut me off or bully their way over in front of me. Happens often in this part of the country due to the high ratio of Bubbamobiles.

Now, I just laugh when one does that. I know they are getting about 1/5th the mileage I am getting and they spend much more of their time at the gas pump.

Yeeeeeehaaaaaaa!

12. Frankblack0503

Frankblack0503 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had some remarks from colleagues like...there he is with his iron on wheels...but afterwards when i look back they are all staring into the interior so it's an envy/admiration mix :)

13. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll do you one better. One of the most popular packages on Ford F-150's in Texas is the "King Ranch" edition. Lots of chrome, exotic leather seats, the works. Some even come with carpeted cargo beds. Of course, most are 4x4, but are way too pretty and expensive to ever see an off-road environment.

I get cut off by King Ranch Editions quite often :)

1 person likes this.
  14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well if yopu look at my ICON to the left you'll see a conversation starter. I never play the ecology card, there are plenty to do that. But even a Hummer or SUV driver (and I have an SUV too) doesn't want to sound unpatrotic by bashing my reasoning. When it does come to defending myself occasionally, I just turn it around and tell them that since 9-11 I decided to minimize my personal need for dependancy on oil from terrorist backing countries.

15. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who cares? Let people think or say what they want about the Prius! Soon or later those same folks are going to buy a hybrid or alternative fuel car because there won't be many options to choose from, or, perhaps, there won't be a choice!

At the same time I got my Prius, 2 colleagues got new cars too, 1 got a F mustang (F for Ford, not what you were thinking:D) and the other, got a BMW 328 convertible. When they asked me what car I have got, them I proudly said a 2010 Prius! Of course, they went politely speechless... I can only guess what was going on in their minds, maybe they thought I was embarrassed when, to be honest, I was having this surge of happiness and satisfaction inside me... and I briefly thought about raising my hand and making a big L sign at them, but, no, time will take care of it...

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not only did the Hummer cost more than twice a Prius in 2004, the fuel consumption was, like, 5 times more. So financially, I could argue that compared to them, my car has already paid for itself.

I play this card when appropriate. I have printed and PDF copies of where our imported oil came from as provided by the US Department of Energy. I show people that Canada sold us 18% of our oil last year. Mexico sold us nearly 12%. Can you say "NAFTA"? I run down the list of countries reminding them that some are considered non-friendly relationships and yet we continue to buy large quantities of oil from them. Let's take a look at your Hummer and see if we can figure out how Mr Chavez could call our President el Diablo on American soil and get away with it.

For your reference:
    Department of Energy - Homepage
    U.S. Total Crude Oil and Products Imports
    (download the series history and then use Excel wizardry to calculate percentage by country and sort)
    Bush: U.S. Must Break Oil 'Addiction' - CBS News

There are tons more

17. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I kinda want to stir the pot a little with these plates, but am wary of retribution. :bounce:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  18. cychosis

cychosis New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We got our first Prius (2010 pkg 3 w/o NAV) 3 weeks ago -- I really wanted to try and get a personalized license plate, "PIUS" as a play on "Pious" and "Prius", as a humorous way of acknowledging what most people would think I thought of myself for getting such a car :) My Wife/Daughter wouldn't let me.

In Portland, OR, it seems though that every 1 of 10 cars is a Prius, so it really isn't a big deal here -- and I don't really care what people think, I am loving this car and have no regrets getting it.

19. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far I haven't had a problem with nasty or sarcastic remarks about our new Prius.
    Everyone asks me how I like it and I tell them that the Prius is even better than I had expected. My wife and I love the car.
    I also tell them that it is an economical and versatile (hatchback design) vehicle that's comfortable and pleasant to drive....and that it is an engineering marvel.
    I don't say anything about the 52+mpg that we get regularly unless someone specifically asks about the mileage.

20. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Embrace the negativity. I think it's great having a car that can evoke such passionate responses. As long as it doesn't turn into a physical thing (vandalism), I'm happy. :)