1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius: where's the front license plate mount?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PilotChris, May 25, 2005.

1. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

I just picked up my new Prius. This is my first new car purchase, so perhaps there's an easy answer to this, but why isn't there a place to put my front license plate? It appears that there are small holes in the font bumper roughly where the plate would be mounted, but there's no hardware.

It seems unlikely that the mounting hardware would come with the plate. Did my dealer forget something during delivery prep?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your dealer should have installed it for you. But there should be a front plate mount in your trunk (maybe in with the spare tire) and you can attach it using the two small holes.

If the hardware isn't there, go back and tell the dealer you need it.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The two dimples in the front bumpers align with the license plate holder, not the license plate itself.

DO NOT DRILL INTO THE BUMPER TO PUT YOUR PLATE ON. You will regret it later.

A drunken monkey screwed my plate directly into the bumper when I picked up my car. If not that I was excited to be getting the car, I would have thrown a holy fit. If you do not have a black plate holder either in the cargo area (check underneath) or anywhere else in the car, go to the dealer and demand one for free. Seriously, if your state requires a front plate and your dealer doesn't give you the holder designed for your car, that's just sad.

Once you have the holder, ask them to throw in two (2) metric screws size six (6). You will need those. You can use just about any screw to hold the plate holder to the bumper. But the holder itself has holes where you attach the plate and those holes are specific for a 6-milimeter metric screw. I had to buy two at the local Ace Hardware.

Congrats on the new car!

Drive hybrid.
    Drive happy.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"92947)</div>
    While we're on the subject, I wouldn't recommend you drill into any part of your new Prius! Congrats!

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

If you don't find the holes in the front, you'll have to mount it on the back and always drive in reverse. Sorry.

6. HybriDave

HybriDave New Member

Hmmm... seems I had the same "Drunken Monkey" attach my plate. They attached the front mount while I was in the finance office... I came out to see the front plate crooked with one of the screws going in at a 45 degree angle. I told them how sh*tty it looked and that I'd fix it myself. As soon as I got it home, I was relieved to find out the plastic bracket was on correctly (phew!), but when they screwed on the plate, they completely missed one of the small metal brackets on the plastic mount and screwed it directly into the plastic... I was extremely relieved to find out they hadn't made a third hole in my bumper.

7. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"92556)</div>
    Chris,

I found my front plate bracket in the trunk along with the rubber hold downs for a tire or whatever for the cargo area hooks.

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That drunken monkey sure travels all over the place... I was really saddened to see that the license plate holder is screwed directly in to the bumper. If you removed the plate holder, there are two nasty holes in the front bumper. Of course, I guess I should be mad that my state requires front plates.

9. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

Thanks for the replies! I called my dealer, and the front license plate holder is [allegedly] on its way.

Reading the replies, I understand that TonyPSchaefer recommends not attaching the license plate directly to the bumper, and instead to use the frame.

However, oly_57mpg seems to be upset that the license plate holder (not the plate itself) was directly screwed into bumper.

Is there any other way to do it? I assume that, when I receive the holder and screws, I'll just have to align the holder with the dimples in the bumer and drive the screws through.

Chris

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"93104)</div>
    Triwt ties? Duct Tape?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"93104)</div>
    Correct. I actually predrilled a couple holes in the dimples to reduce the amount of buckling from the plastic having screws shoved through it. In the end, I'm very please with my own work. :)

11. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"93300)</div>
    You must work for the Department of Homeland Security! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the advice!

chris

12. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Man, I hate drunken Monkeys--
    I was pretty irked to discover that Toyota's solution to the front license plate issue is to drill the plate holder directly into the front bumper.

Luckily, I still have the front plate holder from our 4th Gen Prelude. This holder has two arms that protrude into the grill area beneath the bumper. Each arm has a steel re-inforced bolt hole facing up. Honda designed this so that the license plate/holder can be remove dwithout leaving ugly mounting holes on the front of the car. I haven't mounted it yet, but I figured a littl ebit of drill time, a new washer and nut and I should be able to fit the Prelude plate holder onto my Prius. Then I can attatch or remove as neccessary.

As for the existing holes drilled into the bumper. A little bit of bonda and some touch up paint does the trick.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    someone had some white bumper plugs that could be painted. it's somewhere on Priuschat.

14. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't remember how it was that had the bumper plugs but he sent me a couple for free. Painted them with touchup paint and they look great. Sorry I can't post a pic. (Technologicaly challanged)

15. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

I finally followed up on this with my dealer... They say that there is no front license plate holder for the Prius, which I know to be at least partially false because I see all the other local Prii driving around with them.

Is there any consensus as to whether or not you're getting robbed if you don't get one from your dealer? Is it a part that I can order?

Thanks,
    Chris

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I didn't need mine for the future (moving back to Wisconsin where they know you're supposed to have a front plate) I'd send you mine.

The number on the back of mine is: 52114 47040 and below it another number 52114 47030.

Tell them to order it for you, it was supposed to come with the car and that you're not paying for it.

17. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"96211)</div>
    Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you deserve it. Hell, even if you don't use it, you're entitled to it.

Perform a search for "toyota customer exerpience" and see if you can find their phone number. Tell them that you did not receive a front license plate and ask them how you can get one. Don't be snotty, but indicate that your dealer seemed reluctant. They'll take care of ya. They're good people.

Then, go to my album and check out either of the "Three Prius" pictures. You will see three Illinois Prii required to have front license plates. But one of them doesn't have their front plate attached in the picture and you can see the plate holder.

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They need to examine their pre-delivery service information. It's on it. Have them pull up PD010-03, read item 2, read page 3, and then have them try and repeat their statement, then wait, expect and demand an appology.

19. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"96211)</div>
    Open the hatchback and look in the compartment in the trunk. My state doesn't require a front license plate, and mine was back there along with the tie-down straps and spare tire gear.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, my '02 must have been serviced by the same drunken monkey, but then must have been fired before my '04 came along, since it had the bracket. Now that I'm in AZ, where they only give you a single plate (unless you get vanity plates and subsequently request the second plate), I've removed the mount from my '04 and the plate on my '02. Unfortunately both cars now have holes in the bumpers as CA battle scars. :lol: