1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by poidog, Jan 29, 2006.

1. poidog

poidog New Member

I picked up my new Barcelona Red/grey 2006 Prius #3 today. I ordered it in
    September. Used Toyota City Internet Sales in Honolulu. Car came directly from Japan. Paid MSRP. Bought Servco warranty from dealer since Toyota Finance doesn't sell extended warranties in Hawaii. (84/100).

And, of course, I'm crazy about it.

Poidog

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Aloha, poidog, and congratulations! You can't do long road trips in your new Prius there, but you can save gas and help keep the air clean. It's such a smart car!

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Way to go, poidog, and welcome to PC! I, too, got my red #3 yesterday (bisque interior) in Fresno, CA.

How much do they charge for an extended warranty over there?

Do you do a lot of hilly driving, or pretty much on the flats?

Guess your temps will never keep your MPG down.

It's an interesting shade of red, eh? Looks so different to me in bright sun.

Have fun, read the manual, ask questions. :) B)

4. poidog

poidog New Member

5. poidog

poidog New Member

Aloha Jack 06!

I love the clear red metallic (not a purplish red). I cross the Pali Mountains every day going to work and have typical highway stop and go, too.

The warranty was an overpriced $1700 but it was the only game in town, since Toyota Finance doesn't have one for Hawaii (and parts of the mainland SE).

I'm grateful for this site. I learned a lot in the five months I was waiting. I knew more about the car than the salesman.

poidog

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howzit poidog, I ended up with a silver Prius but really liked the red ones. Great color. I just sold my red Toyota 4X4 after 11 years so wanted a change even though my wife drives it.

How's you gas mileage going over the Pali? We live in the mountains above Honolulu and with my wife's short commute to the bottom we get about 40 mpg. Uphill really kills the mileage. The Camry got 19 mpg so can't complain either.

I did post on the Sponsor Commercial Sale forum that it sounded like Servco would cover third party warranties even though they didn't sell them. I still think we will get better service going though Servco.

We also paid MSRP and about $1700 for the warranty. Good luck with your new car.

7. avipet

avipet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just picked up my Blue Prius (package 4) 2 days ago and got $300 below MSRP. I was excited to get 51 mpg on the three hour drive home. Thanks to this site, I said "no, thanks" to the $2000 extended warrantee they offered. I will get it if I have lots of trouble closer to 3 years when the basic warrantee expires. I've had great luck with my other 5 Toyotas (Tercel, Tercel wagon, Corolla, Camry wagon, Camry) so don't think I'll need the extended warrantee.

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'll be interested (as will others here) to know how your hill/mountain MPG compares with your level MPG. I always get better mileage in hills than on the valley floor. But that's only good to a point, then works the oposite.

How high are the Palis? Can/do you coast all the way down the other side, or is the terrain such that you have to accelerate sometimes even going downhill?

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We are still learning to drive for mpg. We live (not talking about the Pali here) at about 1000 ft elevation on a winding mountain road that's about 5 miles to the bottom. I can't coast all the way down because I have to slow down too much for some of the hairpin turns. Then accelerate again, but usually the mpg are peg at 99.9 most of the way down and the battery is fully charged when we get to the bottom. My wife drives it to work which is about two mile from the bottom so there doesn't seem to be much time to average out the hill climb. With about 350 miles on the second tank of gas I notice I lose about .5 mpg going uphill each time. We are averaging 43mpg with a few freeway trips for this tank.