1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pault842, Oct 4, 2006.

1. pault842

pault842 New Member

I recently brought home my 2006 silver Prius (just in time for the full tax break). So far I'm enjoying it considerably. Around town it gives me excellent mileage (around 51-52). Up on the highway I've been surprised to see how much lower it is. I've been getting around 43-44. Now I only have a few hundred miles so this is very preliminary. I'm wonder how I can tell when applying the brakes when the pads kick in? It would be nice to know how much pressure I can put on the pedal and only get the regen brakes.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats, Paul. Welcome to the wonderful world of Prius ownership.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new Prius! :D

As for the highway mpgs, it depends on the terrain and the speed at which you're travelling. If you can maintain a good speed without having to play the speed-up, slow-down game that freeway traffic can bring about, you should be able to get consistant mileage in the mid to high 40's (and sometimes even higher, depending on how slow you're willing to drive). I've found in many instances where I'm on the freeway for 30-60 minutes driving a fairly consistant speed (ie: 75mph), I've gotten mpg readings in the high 40's (say 47-48), and other times where I'm in stop and go traffic never going over 30mph and getting much lower readings (ie: low 40's) because of the battery constantly having to be recharged by the gas engine.

With the brakes, I think it depends on how much pressure you're applying. If you brake firmly but gently, usually it's the regen brakes doing the work (until you get down to below 5-7mph, at which point the friction brakes will kick in no matter what). If you brake harder, you can feel the friction brakes immediately take hold. Just drive the car, and get used to how it feels when you're doing different things...it won't take long!

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Paul...

...and welcome to the Prius world! You have a great period of discovery ahead to learn the peculiarities and advantages of Prius ownership.

PriusChat is a great resource for information sometimes not found in the Owner's Manual. Another resource is John's web site, he is probably to most experienced in the Prius. John has also compiled a Prius Manual easier to use. Check out his site:

http://john1701a.com/

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the cult...I mean, club.

I think one of the keys to better city MPG is to attempt to keep as constant a speed as possible; this includes anticipating not only the stoplight in front of you, but the one after that too. And, of course, it doesn't always work, despite one's best efforts.

Accelerate slowly from a stop and try not to feel the little shudder when the reciprocating engine kicks in. Sometimes you'll find that it seems you're going a little slow, but if you're careful you can barely keep up with traffic.

You also might check the air pressure in your tires.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pault842 @ Oct 4 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]327957[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! Congrats!

To get a feel of whether you're regenerating or not, give the following a shot.

1. Apply the brake lightly at first. When you're below 20mph, shift to B. You'll notice the car slow down more as B maximises regen. The stronger the force (i.e. the more it slows), the less you've been regenerating BEFORE you shifted to B. In other words, if you were already braking close to the threshold, when you shift to B, you shouldn't feel that addition drag/slow down. That's one good way to learn how much pressure to apply

2. Another technique to help you out is when applying constant pressure, at around 5-8mph, see if you can feel the transition from regen to friction. You'll know when it changes when you feel the car suddenly "give" even though you've been applying constant pressure on the brake pedal. This "give" is the split second it switches over from regen to friction. If you feel this sensation, that means you've been regenerating. If you don't, that means you were using the friction brakes all along.

3. This is probably the easiest (and costliest) way to tell. Get a Can-View Scangauge.

7. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shifting to B does not maximize regen. It spins up the engine for drag, wasting gas and lots of kinetic energy.

8. theorist

theorist Member

Welcome.

With experience, you'll learn to sense when the friction brakes kick in. The experience that helped me the most was driving the car with wet brakes that made noise. Some complain of brake noise as the disks or drums rust from a want of use. I wonder if there's something safe you could put on a disk or drum that would make a little noise when (friction) braking but safely dissipate without really impacting braking performance or having any long term effects.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iluvmacs @ Oct 4 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]328282[/snapback]</div>
    It pays to read the fine print haha. I said below 20mph. Above it, it'll do what you described. Try it out yourself.