1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by deznsteve, Mar 25, 2007.

1. deznsteve

deznsteve New Member

Me and my wife just picked up our new prius today. Super White Touring #2 package. We already have a Ford Escape Hybird so we are totally hybrid now (we did keep my pick-up truck for trips to Home depot, for mulch, gravel etc.) If anyone else has to keep a truck for this reason check with your insurance company. I changed my insurance to "farm use" on my truck and with the new car it only raised our insurance a little over 20 bucks a month.

We put on about 65 miles today running errands etc and the computer says we averaged around 50 mpg during these trips. I cant wait to see how good it does over an exteneded period of time.

I have been lurking for a few weeks while thinking of getting this car and have had to laugh at some posts from trolls etc that do not understand why some people choose hybrids. Sure they cost more and not everyone can afford one. The way I figure it is that I am "trying" to do the best I can for the planet etc. within my own limitations. We are lucky we can afford two hybrids. Some are not. So what should they do......recycle....change a few light bulbs at a time....whatever you can afford to do. Why bash others who have worked hard to be able to purchase environmentally friendly items? Sure makes no sense to me tp dp it. If EVERYONE would just do what they can for the world withing their own limitations the world would be better off.

Just think what a difference it would make if even half of everyone that could afford solar panels for their electricity used them? I for one would buy them in a heartbeat if I could afford them.

Oh well enough ranting. Ill be checking out the site and taking into advice alot of the things I have read so far.

Thanks to all

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, deznsteve. Congratulations on your new Prius. I'm sure a lot of PriusChatters will be interested in your comparison of the Escape Hybrid and the Prius. I know how you feel being a dual-hybrid family. We recently traded in my wife's Sienna van for a new Prius. She got the 2005 and loves it, I got the 2007 and love it.

Sort of the other side of the posts you refer to, there are many posts by members who traded a performance or luxury car for a Prius. I'm really pleased when I see a new member who has bought a used Prius or other hybrid. We're fortunate to be able to buy a new car. We're fortunate we can have two cars. None of us can single-handedly make the world a better place, we each have to do what we can.

3. deznsteve

deznsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 25 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]411784[/snapback]</div>
    Two totally different vehicles. With the 4cyl Atkinson cycle engine and the electric you get almost the same performance as a 6 cyl engine. When we purchased it we went from a 6cyl Toyota 4 runner to the Ford and had no copmplaints.

The escape is a great small SUV that can handle a little offroad and snow superbly in my opinion. Me and the wife use it for camping outings especially. Load a car top carrier on it, a bike rack on the back. ALL the camping supplies you would need and a couple of dogs and hit the road.....and still get around 27 mpg out of it.

Our plan is to run the Ford into the ground to see how long she will last. We hope to pay it off and get as many years out of it as possible before a battery or something goes.

Once I drive the Prius a little more I will let you know what I think of the two hybrid systems

4. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome from another SuperWhite Touring ;)

Enjoy the ride.