1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New problem with HID headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rosan100, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Rosan100

Rosan100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My driver side HID headlight was going off intermittently, so I ordered the Phillips replacement bulbs and replaced both, I did it without removing the bumper so it was quite a tight fit. The problem now is it appears that when my headlights are turned on (low beam) the drivers side is alot brighter, like the high beam is on, and the passenger side looks like it is on low. When I turn on the high beams, then both are on high beam. Anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong? Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My only wild guess is that you installed the bulb in the wrong orientation...

Out of curiosity, why did you DIY? Are you past the mileage listed at http://www.girardgibbs.com/prius.asp?

3. Rosan100

Rosan100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My only wild guess is that you installed the bulb in the wrong orientation...

Out of curiosity, why did you DIY? Are you past the mileage listed at

It looked correct, there is a cutout on one side and it fit right in, but I am going to take it back out and try to reset it.

I read about the class action shortly after the driver's side went out, but I am over 50,000. I was probably right at that when it first started, and supposedly could get it covered if I could prove that, but I don't know how I would as I didn't take it to the shop nor was I pulled over, so I really don't have any proof that it started prior to 50K

I am the 2nd owner and bought it from a Honda dealer so I figured my local Toyota dealer wouldn't be real motivated to help me.

I am considering removing the bumper this time as the driver's side was the most difficult because of the lack of space to work in. I will post an update after I try re-installing it. thanks