1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Product Idea: >$400 PiHEV charger kit - feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jeff652, Dec 30, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am thinking about releasing a new Plug in "conversion" charger kit and wanted to get some feedback.
    [​IMG]
    My high level design ideas are:
    -Will charge the Prius battery from vehicle empty to vehicle full in just over 6 hours
    -Would enable a full hybrid battery for increased EV function each morning and at the end of a work day (i.e. after 6 hours of charging)
    -Existing hybrid battery only, no add on battery pack
    -Would retail for just under $400
    -Will plug into our existing Car Harness product line (even lower price if you already have a Car Harness)
    -Prius, Camry Hybrid, and Highlander options available
    -Full HV/12V isolation, zero chance of leakage

Is this something you would be interested in? Why or why not?

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Great I would buy it if it have multi function need to be all automatic not go over 80% for regular maintenance but have a balancing function for schedule maintenance even better if it offer an automatic discharge-charge function and make in a way it fix install hide somewhere in the car so we only need to plug it no mess no hassle.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would need performance details on starting each day with a full charge. would this really be helpful in any significant way?

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't vote unless I know some specifics:
    1) How would this affect the longevity of the battery pack?
    2) What kind of fuel economy performance gain can I expect?
    3) How do I have to alter my driving style to get the most out of it?

I'm assuming the idea would be to arrive home with the least amount of charge, the system will allow, on the battery and wake up with a full 80% SOC charge the next day. I'm guessing for the right person, this would make a 10 mpg difference in fuel economy. Do you have any testing on performance?

5. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would only charge to vehicle full, or about 78%-80% of actual battery SOC. By keeping the peak charge level within the normal operating range of the battery, it should have no detrimental impact on battery life.

Agreed. This will be the next step. I have a couple prototypes already running. Having an EV mode button will further increase the benefits as the user can prevent the ICE from coming on until after driving in EV mode for a few miles. Maybe a couple Beta testers other than myself would be a good idea ;-)

Fair points. You are correct. Arrive at destination with an SOC somewhere between 40%-80%. Leave destination with 80% SOC. The vehicle normally cycles the battery pack from 40% to 80% SOC. This charger would not charge above 80% SOC (vehicle full) so there should not be any detrimental impact to battery life. Fuel economy increase would depend on total distance traveled.

Great feedback everyone. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you for pursuing new ideas and unique products for our pri!(y)

jeff652 likes this.
  7. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    CE label?

8. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for putting this together. The pure cost benefit from a fuel savings perspective really depends on what SOC% is when the car is parked (60% in your example) and total miles driven. The lower the SOC% when parked, the greater the benefit. The shorter the overall distance traveled, the greater the benefit.

There are also several secondary benefits as well, like improved battery health and reduced carbon foot print. To offset any risk of voltage depression, it might be wise to use our regular Prolong Battery Systems to deep cycle (recondition) the battery a couple times per year. This really should be done an all NiMh batteries, whether a PiHEV charger is being used or not. Of course, all of these products will use our existing Car Harnesses, so there would be 100% cross compatibility.

All active components in our products are already CE certified. We are planning to certify our next generation Prolong Battery Chargers as a system when they are released in a couple months. We would bundle this PiHEV charger into that same certification process.

9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there a reason why it takes over 6 hours to charge from 40%soc to 80%soc? cost saving? hybrid system limitation? charger limitation?
    It would be more usable if it can charge in less 1 hour. Also, how do you prevent ICE warm up cycle? It's winter so ICE warmup cycle is inevitable. I like the idea but there are other issues that need to address.
    People interested in this product want EV in extreme short distances such as diving down the street to get mail. Having a full charge only solves part of the equation. You'll need another product to prevent the ICE from starting up.

NR427 likes this.
  10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To maintain the price point the charge rate has to be such that is would take up to six hours. We could easily build a one hour unit but it would cost more ;-). If the battery is not at vehicle empty (40% SOC) the time will be reduced. The vehicle is always off while charging with our products, so the ICE will not be able to power on.

11. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Digging up a dead thread for nothing - I'd say it would be useful, especially in cold climates (and for short journeys) when the computer defaults the car to put its engine in warm up mode. At around 6C and less, I could only really get around 25 to 35 mpg (UK) after a cold start for the first 2 or 3 miles. After days, weeks, it can potentially save a lot of fuel, especially from those who only drive in heavy traffic. Would be nice to see if anyone tried the past year.

12. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a genesis one charger, on Nimh if it could fully charge beyond normal car parameters and disable the cars spinning air compressor behavior until under way this might work to unbrick cars with failing packs, especially if it can also safely discharge

offib likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 yes votes, that won't make a market. definitely no interest.

14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We're making a 3A rapid charger that can be used as a PHEV charger. It is shop/reseller focused so won't be as cheap, but will 'fill' the battery in a couple hours. Should be released in Jan/Feb time frame.

offib and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is it's purpose?

16. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's primary function is to speed up the charging/balancing process. It's universal, one unit for all battery sizes. It will charge the battery at 3A CC to ~90%, then switch to CV down to 350mA, then return to CC at 350mA to top balance the battery. Instead of taking 20-22 hours to charge & balance an empty battery, it will take 4-6 hours. Being a PHEV charger is just a side benefit.

Resellers/shops/battery rebuilders who need to speed the process up are very excited about it. It will match nicely to the universal 3A discharger we are developing as well :)

offib and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks jeff, all the best!(y)

jeff652 likes this.
  18. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Damn, Jeff. Just more and more good news (only in this context) keeps coming, and right around my b-day too :rolleyes:

But are there no concerns of charging it to 80% every day? We're always told to avoid force charging (to 80%) while other members here in hilly areas (often seeing 7 or 8 bars each commute) can attest that their driving style contributed to reduced usable capacity/performance.

#18 offib, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  19. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a great birthday present idea ;). Just met with the EE and ME today - looks like the goal is 3/1/17 for release at this point. In PHEV mode, it will only charge the battery to vehicle full, or ~78% SOC. It will not charge any higher than that unless it is set to charge & balance mode. If used in PHEV mode only, it will be fine to use on the battery every day.

offib likes this.
  20. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to my calculations gas would have to be a lot higher to make this economical. Right now, electrical power is slightly more expensive than gasoline where I live. If it were an even wash, I would have to calculate the value of wear and tear on the ICE.