1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New product in Japan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fjef, May 2, 2005.

1. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is a new product eveyone is raving about here in Japan. Called, Intake Magic, is is supposed to increase performance and mileage and reduce emissions. I can't find much information in English on the web so I don't think it has been released anywhere else.

You can get an idea of what it is from the Google translation here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...fari%26rls%3Den

I have heard people talking about it reducing fuel consumption from 9 to 38% depending on your driving style etc. I was told today that a friend in Hokkaido (far north of Japan) installed this in an '01 Prius in February and his mileage increased from 18kms/litre to 23 kms/litre. Cost for the Prius is only about $100US - I am going to track one down tomorrow and see if it works...has anyone heard of this outside of Japan?

2. Sally Krasne

Sally Krasne Junior Member

I haven't heard of this, and of course, most of the Google finds are in Japanese (although one discussion board was in English). Two big questions: Does it compromise the car's power? Does it affect the lifetime of any of the automobile parts?

Do you happen to know anything about how/why this works? Do let us know your experience.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far every product that has claimed to save on gas has not shown any fuel savings according to consumerreports.org report. I am highly skeptical of this product because generally as you reduce emmissions you reducce fuel economy since it filtration process causes back pressure (reduces air flow through the engine).

4. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what is it really? There are lots of impressive 'claims' here & there but no where does it say what it REALLY is. Is it a piece of flat magnet that costs $300 USD? I salute you to be the guinea pig for this. Hope for the best & prepare for the worst. Please keep us posted.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would be inclined to believe that if th product really did all that it claims to do, the inventors would be collecting royalties from manufacturers instead of selling directly to consumers.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Platinum-laden mist injected into the air intake used to be The Thing for better mileage. Lately it was air turbulence. Maybe it's a platinum air turbulator that dissolves as used?...

Lovely: translation websites are now off-limits at work...

7. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

I'm Japanese & I read this website in Japanese.

It says MT wave (It doesn't say what it is) creates micro-turbulance in air-intake, thus achieving more complete internal conbustions. They claim less emmision + more power by making the ICE more efficient.

It sounds silly, but the data on their website are pretty impressive. Jokes on me, but I'm going to try this next time I go to Japan.

It sounds awefully similar to the "air tornado" thing, which doesn't really work from what I hear...

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    Sounds very much like the "Air Tornado" piece of junk that came out a few years ago. I doubt it'll work!

9. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

In their Board,
    Data with Prius
    Before 19.5km/Liter
    After 24.5km/Liter

If this is true, it's awesome. Again, I'll try it sometime this year & let you guys know if it's legit or not!

===========================================

プリウスに装着して実験をしてみました。ハイブリットカーなので排気ガスの実験は、正確にできないので公表しませんが、標準装着されているメーターで燃費実験してみました。
    実験中に表示された燃費は、下記の通りです。
    装着サイズM
    装着前 19.5キロ/L
    装着後 24.5キロ/L

コメントは、アクセルが軽いということでした。

http://www.tokumoto.info

10. altaskier

altaskier New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kazu88\";p=\"87603)</div>
    "Before"=before engine warm-up? That I would believe...

Without well-defined testing methodology, repeated measurements, and independent verification, it's harder to believe. If a $100 part makes that much of a difference, why would Toyota not license and use it to further increase the appeal of the Prius to those who want to minimize fuel use?

11. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

Before and after installing "intake magic."

They say the bacteria in the sticker creates micro-turbulance in air, thus achieving complete burn of fuel.

It's crazy talk, but I'll try it out, probably when I go back to Japan in July. I'll Keep you posted.

12. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Although I set out to find and install one after my last post, I have since wrenched something in my back. I am now flat on my back and will have to delay this experiment for a few more days...

13. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

fjef, any update? Hope you are feeling better.

14. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am back on my feet but moving slowly - I am going to try and get to the dealer this weekend and give it a try - a friend has installed one on his Accord and says it makes a difference - he has not done any objective testing so this still could be wishful thinking...will post as soon as I try it out...

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My common sense tells me that if it really works, all car makers would be all over that product by now. Some placebo effect really fools some people.

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In my old MR2 days, there was a mod that went in the air intake to basically stir up lots of turbulence to really mix up the air and gas. A lot of people in the club tried it, it sounded horrible - like sucking up the last bits of milkshake through a straw, but much, much noisier! However people really did see an improvement in mileage, though many took it back off again because they couldn't hack the noise.

18. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SpiralMAX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett\";p=\"90148)</div>
    You are referring to those $69.99 "Turbo-charge ANY car" devices like SpiralMAX, Turbonator, Tornado, PowerAid (throttle head version), etc. I have the SpiralMAX in my SUV air intake tube too. Both me & my friend (a total of 3 SpiralMAX-equipped cars) definitely noticed faster acceleration (my gas pedal feels noticeably more resistant) & better mileage (from 200miles/tank to now 240miles/tank on my SUV). But so many people bash these spiral things. 90% of them don't have 1st-hand experience, they just make 'noise' from hear-say. Am I ready to try one on my Prius? Nope, my SUV is usually my guinea pig. :wink:

19. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So any verdict yet?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef\";p=\"89530)</div>
    I wonder what you think about this product? Any update will be appreciated. Thanks.

20. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry for the long delay. I am back (pun intended) together sort of and I have a long story about getting hold of and installing Intake Magic.

The short version is like this:

There are 3 sizes depending on engine size. I ordered small for the Prius and they sent a medium. It was big enough for my Mitsubishi Delica 2.5L turbo diesel van and we decided to experiment on it first. I am now on my second tank of diesel since I installed it so I am still trying to determine any change in fuel consumption.

I did notice quicker acceleration - I actually spun the tires for the first time immediatley after installing Intake Magic. My wife said the same thing. The engine also idled smoother - my son did not know that we had had it installed and he commented that the van was quieter.

After driving it for nearly 1000 kms after the installation. I am no longer sure if the initial perceptions are still real. I will calculate mileage after this tank is done and see if there is significant change. The weather has also warmed up a lot so mileage should be improving anyway.

Will I install in the Prius? I am still not sure - the dealer should have sent us the correct size but sent a size that ended up costing double what we thought we would be paying. I won't buy from him again. If the fuel consumption is much better than before, I may try it in the Prius - if not, I don't think the whole experience was worth the effort...but at least sitting at my desk is now a lot more comfortable...