1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New R1 rotors at 128K and other maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by leogsx97, Jan 30, 2012.

1. leogsx97

leogsx97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just bought the car with 127K miles and put a 1k on the car already. I decided to take the car to the dealer for an oil change and have them check it. Here is what they wanted to do.

1. Change brakes and rotors front $480
    2. Change cabin filter $80
    3. Clean AC system $180
    4. Clean Throttle body $180

I just told them to do an oil change for $30.

Ordered new zinc plated rotors and ceramic pads for $102 and cabin filter for $16 (the one with carbon)

Here is what the brakes look like in NY with 128K miles.

Do not know how to clean AC system I just sprayed some fabreze into the opening under the passenger wiper when the car was running and AC was on.

Next I will clean throttle body and replace spark plugs I do not think they were ever changed. What else should I check at this high of a mileage?

I am getting 40-43mpg driving 50 miles to work every day. My clk 550 gets 15-16mpg on the same route.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at the Toyota service schedule for 100K and 120K miles. Add a transaxle ATF fluid change to the items you see on those two lists.

3. leogsx97

leogsx97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I think I will do throttle body, plugs, drive belt and ATF for now. Can I order ATF fluid on line and where is the best place to order these parts?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The rust on your old rotors did not have any affect on braking performance and probably did not need to be replaced. You new rotors look great - where did you get them. Ceramic pads are overkill for a Prius as most braking is done by regeneration.

Get the ATF from a toyota dealer (Toyota type WS - 4 quarts) and you need two gaskets for the drain/fill plugs.

Add a new PCV valve to the list if not there already and check if the Inverter cooling water pump recall has been done on your Prius.

JeffD

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those look like the cheap chinese rotors from R1.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure you lube the mating surface on the hub to wheel area because if you don't you'll never get the wheel off again without a hassle what with the steel and zinc galvanization..That and grease the rotor threads with the big castle nut. I pop out the little center cover on the wheel cover. Fill it full of synthetic grease and put the cover back on.
    That and I would have pulled the slider pins on the calipers and cleaned them off and re-lubricated them. You already had them off. A hung up caliper will ruin your new rotors. And those are eBay rotors. There ok but one good hot pull down and they'll warp real easy They don't sink as much heat as the steel units but there lighter.
    And in addition to the Trans Fluid change out the Inverter Coolant asap.
    If its original its toast and is probably why your getting such poor mileage.
    Its really easy to do and takes no tools other than the dump bolt in the trans bottom.

Also the dealer AC system clean is a 2 spray can of microidial cleaner. One can is the cleaner the other is perfume.
    The cleaner can comes with a special hose you attach to the e-coil weep hose underneath the car. You inject the entire can of foamy cleaner back up that hose. It fills the e-coil chamber under the dash with that cleaner. The foam quickly turns to liquid and drips back out. Its a good maintenance thing to do at least once a year so the e-coil doesn't get to moldy. Its moldy already that's what your smelling. I don't bother with the perfume can as it stinks imho. The 2 cans are available at the dealer parts counter for $25.
    Good Luck!

7. leogsx97

leogsx97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    R1 rotors are sold on their website and on ebay.

8. leogsx97

leogsx97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have similar rotors on clk550 also from R1. No problems with them on clk.