1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Rear bumper Applique/Protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johnnieliu, Jan 22, 2006.

1. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

Hello,

Is the below the same as the "Rear Bumper Applique" described here: http://www.toyota.com/prius/accessories.html ?

[​IMG]

It seems like the "Applique" that Toyota is selling is just a clear plastic film like the 3M "Clear Bra" material. Is this true? Is the above picture a genuine Toyota product?

Thanks,
    JL

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there are 2 available the one shown ala Matrix and a clear vinyl one that goes on clear and protects about the same area. The black plastic one shown is the one most of the taxi operators use here in Canada. My opinon is the clear one looks better but is less durable.

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just bought one. I think it is a genuine Toyota part (#0001647015), might say made in Canada on the back. I bought it from a dealer in Melbourne Florida (321) 254-8888. I was $23.43 and shipping was $10.00 but that included the mud flaps that I purchased at the same time.

It is held on by two strips of double stick tape. No instructions came with it. I suggest you measure to find the middle and mark it with a piece of tape and then line up the mark with the tailgate latch/bracket near the bumper. Fits and looks good. It does say Collora on the backside so it fits that car too.

The applique is a thin clear plastic film that sticks to the bumper. The black one is a heavy plastic.

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I would say the black one is better than the clear film. It doesn't look bad and offers better protection. There is also another option that I have which is a polished aluminum piece with a blue PRIUS emblum in the middle. It's pricey though at $140. Photo in my sig. Purchased from Sigma Automotive from the Sponsors page.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The photo shows the black protector marketed for the Prius. Ity is actually from an earlier model Corolla wagon (it has "COROLLA" imprinted on the underside. The Matrix unit has a different pattern to the top, but is similar. Both have the advantage of protecting the rear lip corner, not just the top like the clear protector.