1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New, Rebuilt, Used battery-- or Trade it in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DBarbre, Jun 2, 2017.

1. DBarbre

DBarbre New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a well maintained 2006 Prius, 246,000 miles. Few problems other than the dashboard display going out. And...now, the battery.

I really only drive it to work (school) during the school year. We're not expecting to own this car for another 10 years and so a brand new battery seems exorbitant. But we're worried about horror stories with a rebuilt.

So, I thought I'd come here and ask the pros. Thoughts? Suggestions? Sources? Recommendations?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally I wouldn't spend alot of money on a new battery with that many miles on the car. i would sell it and be forthright on the battery issue. Its very common for the battery to be rebuilt but most turn into a whack a mole thing where you have to constantly go back in and replace bad modules. Then cross your fingers. Most people myself included do not have the time or cannot suffer through that never knowing when your car is going to leave you. The horror story's.
    If the dealer see's the codes for a new battery they won't give you peanuts for the car. Probably better selling it privately with the battery caveat.

Good Luck. Buy a prime.

3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You don't say how long that drive to school is but my personal opinion is that you could take the money for a battery plus the trade-in value and get a fairly decent, dependable used car. Something along the lines of a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Toyota Yaris sedan. The difference in gas mileage won't cost you all that much unless it's a long commute.

4. DBarbre

DBarbre New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. 28 miles each way. Damn, we just bought a new car for my husband--I really don't want two payments and I do love my Prius. Thanks for the advice.

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 with 247,000 miles and the battery went out once 3 weeks ago and that 3 week old reconditioned battery died last week. At least it was under warranty, but there are many differently priced batteries out there (the more expensive ones have a longer warranty). I paid $2100 for my reconditioned 3 year warranty battery. So far the new one is great.

I'd say go with the battery replacement. Just don't trade in the car. Private party always gives more money if you decide to sell. If you get a used car, don't go with an old Prius because you'll probably be in the same place you are now with a broken battery. A Civic is a great choice. A Yaris is a reliable car, but nothing else is really good about it.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My experience a good Rebuilt will give you about 100, new about 200k

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would love to see you keep it running, but what if i said go for it, and a short time later, your a/c or another four figure system went down?
    instead of another car payment, maybe look at a 2012 or so with under 100k, or better yet, pick up a new prime in maine for under 20k net, net, and road trip home!(y)