1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Reconditioned Battery or ECU and wireharness replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jfs2010, Jul 17, 2024 at 2:00 PM.

1. jfs2010

jfs2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to make a decision and looking for advice. I have have a 2008 Prius with faulty ECU and Voltage Sensing wire harness that needs replacing. Not capable of doing the repair myself, and am having an extremely difficult time finding a local mechanic that can make the repair. PriusKing said they could come to my house & do the repair for approx. $1200. This would cost about the same as replacing the battery with a reconditioned battery with a one year warranty.

I plan on trading the car in. Not really comfortable with selling to a stranger, or neighbor especially with the battery acting up and probably only lasting another year or so even with repairs. I also know the car has little value.

Am I better off with the repair or battery switch? Does it even matter what the decision is if I trade in to a Toyota dealer or Carmax type of company? Thanks for any advice.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're trading it in it CarMax or the Toyota dealer so on all they know is you got there in it and then does it look that bad is it rusted out Flintstones action? You'd be surprised I mean unless you're in dire straits and have to do something in 1 minute You shocked it with some people would do to get you into a payment a new car whatever you want to call it. So I mean how fast are we going to do this something the new car the other car whatever directly well that's one of those things where you have to clear the code to drive it do it drive it over there leave it ready when you get out to talk to the people and make your deal or whatever some places to give you $4,000 without even seeing it of course they're probably killing you with the price of the car but.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have no desire to repair it, there are likely many people, knowledgeable prius people, willing to buy that car and fix the battery themselves. Price would depend a lot on overall condition of the car body, interior and mechanical systems.

Any 'battery' rebuilder will just swap your battery for one of their rebuilt batteries and call it a day. I doubt anyone will actually disassemble yours on site to just replace the harness and ecu. I wouldn't want to risk doing that work and then end up the battery has other issues. Although for $1200, I certainly would if someone insisted, with the understanding there may be other problems. $70 for a new harness from Toyota and $150 for a corrosion free ecu on ebay (or just use one of the dozen or so I have on the shelf). Maybe 2 hours of time. One hour to just do a battery swap. Good profit margin.