1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New refurbished hybrid battery design not need Battery Vent Tube?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mikeflores2000, May 26, 2023.

1. mikeflores2000

mikeflores2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    New refurbished hybrid battery design not need Battery Vent Tube?

I believe third party is deliberately omitting this $150 part to cut cost.
    2010 Toyota Prius third generation manufactured 06/2009.
    OEM battery died at 155k miles in June 2020, replaced with refurbished that had this black
    battery vent tube or rubber hose that plugs into a white plastic tube inside Prius.
    Drove through flood water january 2023 causing battery to short circuit. Replaced May 24, 2023 but this second refurbished battery is missing black rubber hose.

Battery Vent Tube

Part Number: G929047010
    Supersession(s): G9290-47010

[​IMG]

Fits Prius (2010 - 2011)

Attached Files:

#1 mikeflores2000, May 26, 2023
    Last edited: May 26, 2023
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Newer Gen3 packs don't have those tubes... Toyota eliminated vent tubes early on in Gen3 Prius design because the battery cooling fan is more than adequate at venting toxic fumes during a battery failure and the black plastic tubing was a bad choice of material because it chemically reacts to even the smallest amount of battery vent fumes in a way that makes the inside of the car stink, which led to lots of complaints. Anyone who drives a Gen2 Prius can tell you how nice it is to no longer have that smell and those tubes once they upgrade to a https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

3. mikeflores2000

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Refurbished battery installed in June 2020 has tube.
    Refurbished battery installed May 23, 2023 does not have tube.
    To be clear, you are referring to tube from 200V high voltage traction hybrid battery?
    Cabin did fill with stench of smoke at time of failure.
    I uploaded more photos.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes correct... That tube and the two tubes on top of the pack that connect to that tube and are attached to the vent holes of all 28 modules. You likely aren't permitted to pull off the cover or you'll void your battery swap warranty seal...

But to confirm, the newer Gen3 Prius battery packs don't have those tubes and the oldest Gen3 prius packs do. Doesn't make a difference one way or the other and your rebuilder is going to use lots of different modules from many different years... But it is sorta irresponsible for your battery rebuilder to not explain all this to you.

As for stench/smoke at time of failure there's more than one system that can do that with the most common one being the pins on the battery ECU circuit board short circuiting and smoking and melting. And if that wasn't what fried we can't verify it was the modules that smoked without breaking the warranty seal by removing the main cover.

5. mikeflores2000

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will follow up with Toyota Corp.
    San Francisco Toyota confirmed today their new OEM hybrid battery still has a black rubber hose
    at bottom of corner diagonally opposite from
    cooling fan.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It may have the rubber hose sitting there but if you lift or sneak a thin camera on a snake in there You will see a new battery pack from Toyota I just bought one 12 months ago or a little longer The titties are not even existing on top of the modules they're gone or this the spaces there where they go and the space is sealed up with gray plastic like the injection molding machine did it on the fly so those tubes won't even fit from your old battery if you're putting this a rack of these cells in a case that you already have with the tubes and all you'll have no place to put those tubes You can leave the one on the outside that's black that goes to the clear one or whatever in the car but it will be venting nothing because it's the rest of it's connected to nowhere there's nothing to tie it into I guess you could lay the black vent tubes across the top of the battery across the circles where they used to have titties if you just wanted to and connect that to the tube but you're just doing that for feel good reasons I guess because there's no venting happening. But I can confirm that new generation 2 battery pack that I purchased 12 13 months ago does not have the vent tube tits on top of each module I opened mine regardless of warranty and sprayed down the nuts and all of that stuff plus I think you have to open the case to put all the wires and what not on that come with the battery when you buy it?.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @mikeflores2000

Relax on the black vent tubes. These tubes went away during the Gen 3 campaign around 2012 or so. The tubes only pass vapors released from the modules pressure relief valve, nothing else. Most of these valves become stuck after a couple years anyway. The Gen 4 modules eliminated the relief valves also.

The reason you will ALWAYS smell something if an HV battery has a "fire" problem is that the cooling air ductwork is vented into the car. The gen 2 ductwork is directed at a flapper in the side of the car, by the 12v battery, but is not sealed. The gen three cooling air is vented just a few inches from the battery, directly into the area under the hatch area floor.

Sure, your 2010 had the vent tubes, but in reality they're an obsolete part. If you really really want them, I have about 50 sitting in a box from batteries I've disassembled.

Here's a link to photos of a brand new Toyota HV battery for the 2010/2011. There's some photos of the top of the modules....no rubber vent tubes come with it, so maybe the dealer you spoke to is confused about new batteries having them.

For Sale - New in crate Toyota Prius replacement HV Battery | PriusChat

#7 TMR-JWAP, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023