1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New replacement tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Begreen, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking of replacing my tires with better Goodyears. My tire dealer will only offer $20/tire for trade in. This seems a little low for tires that have 500 miles on them. They're going for $120 a used set on eBay and about $240 new. What's a fair price? Shoud I just try Craigslist?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a set with about 50 miles on them here (Priuschat) for $75. Looks like the dealers offer isn't too far off.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You could also offer them in the "private sales" section of Prius Chat. Because it is not fun (nor free) to ship tires, the offer might be of most interest to someone in your part of Washington state.

4. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You might also check if there are used tire shops in your area; they get their tires from someone.

Thanks,
    Shawn

5. rwindsor

rwindsor New Member

Too late for you, but this may help others. We knew delivery would be January 2nd. (06, level 4) Two weeks before, an order was placed with Discount Tire for Michelin Hydrodeges. Went directly from the dealer to the tires. $120 allowance. With Michigan tax, etc, etc, etc it ended up at about $420. Note: Still think you should switch, even at the higher price, just for the safety issues alone.

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I am moving on this. As soon as I increased the pressures to Priuschat recommendations, the tires got squirrelier. I am also noticing QuickSilver being more susceptible to wind. And the Integritys are noisy! I was pretty amazed to get in my pickup and find it quieter than the Prius over the same roads.

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I did the swap when my Integrities had just under 800 miles. I put 'em on the private sale forum here and on Craig's list. I sold them for $95 a few days later, to someone in my area. Like Nike says, just do it.

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mind my asking what the ComfortTreads ended up costing? Are you still happy with them?

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I absolutely love the ComforTreds. It turns out that Walmart had the best price at $77/ea. plus $15 mounting. I got my local favorite shop to price-match and I'm in business for about $400 including tax and road hazard warranty.

I like the better grip of the ComforTreds, but what I secretly enjoy even more is the reduction in road noise. It was easier to rationalize the cost of new tires based on safety, but the noise is what keeps me smiling down the road.

10. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ebay usually reflects somewhat accurate prices. But, it would be a real pain to ship tires. I would probably try to sell them in a local penny saver type paper. I wouldn't give them away for $20/ea.

Minus out 30% for the 500 miles & advertise them for that price. Good luck.

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What pressure are you running the ComfortTreds at?

12. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I'm running 40 front / 38 rear.

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. That's what I am running the Integrities at. I get mine on Friday and am looking forward to the smoother, quieter ride. Thanks for the helpful info.

14. HybridDoug

HybridDoug New Member

First ever post on any board - sorry if I mess it up - WHY did you pick Michelin Hydrodeges? I have mixed luck with Michelin and lean towards Pirellis. Live in rainly Nor. Cal. Thanks.