1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New rims! Machined face for winter. Foolish but I like the look.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Eug, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I have a 2012 Prius Plug-in (Canadian Technology Package) which I've had for 4 years. I was considering upgrading to a Lexus ES Hybrid or something like that but given that it only has 88xxx km on it, I decided instead to touch up the paint dings and keep it for a while longer.

I had just lost a winter tire in the spring to a big bolt, and those tires were on my ancient 15" aluminum rims from my 2004 Prius. Being 15 years old and used lately as winter rims, they were all corroded to Hades, so I decided to get all new ART Replica 95 rims along with 4 new Continental WinterContact SI tires, as well as new front brakes. (The mechanic says the rear brakes should be done next year, so not too bad at almost 90000 km.)

IMG_4698.jpeg IMG_6999.jpg IMG_7003.jpg IMG_7094.jpeg IMG_7096.jpeg

Actually, I bought these rims thinking they would be OK for winter but was told after the fact I probably should not have bought these because of the machined face. They're clear-coated but that probably won't last long. They also sell non-machined ones with a similar design for the same price, but they just didn't look as nice to me. Nonetheless, if I take care of them, they should be OK for a few years until I upgrade the car, and they were a decent value. They're from a respected Canadian company called DAI Wheels, they meet VIA/JWL standards, and cost only CAD$99 per wheel (US$74.50). They're hub-centric and guaranteed fitment for Toyota, and even use the same lug nuts. I didn't bother with TPMS though, so I saved a couple of hundred bux there too.

Only 15" diameter so not ideal for looks, but at this price I'm not complaining. The tires were a lot cheaper too at the stock 195/65R15, and it didn't hurt that I got clearance ones for a big discount. It's a little early to have my winter wheels on now, but at least I beat the crowds, and the night time temps are already sometimes dropping now to around 12 Celsius, so I'm probably only about 6 weeks early up here.

drash, spiderman and Pluggo like this.
  2. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking Sooooper Coooool.

Eug likes this.
  3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Reminds me of my Bolt Premier wheels, albeit 7 instead of 5 "spoke."

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I favour painted silver rims over machined and clear coated: much easier to touch-up. Really like the Plug-In rims too. The touch up colour (for any and all Prius silver painted rims I think, except the Persona) is Classic Silver Metallic (1F7).

I'm a little confused: where on "earth" are you; has the Plug-In Prius ever sold in Canada?

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like the look. Balances the broad body. They look like the newer corolla rims that I have been wanting myself.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. There was a very small batch of 2012s but most were 2013-2014s.

$35k base and $41k loaded.

Eug and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Eug
    When the weather starts getting awful, pack up your rims with paste wax. Don't even bother to buff it out. It doesn't look to good but it adds a nice layer of protection to the clear coat. Add paste inside and out if you feel like going the extra mile. In the spring you can use mineral spirits to remove what hasn't worn off over the winter and/or buff/wipe the machined surfaces.

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm in Toronto. I bought a 2012 Plug-in that was used as the customer pickup/dropoff vehicle for the local dealership. Before they sold it to me, it had dealership decals all over it, and I had actually seen it driving around the city a couple of times.

I only bought it because my 2004 Prius was totalled in a rear-ender, and the new series Prius models hadn't been released yet. I was planning to get a 2016 4th gen Prius, but after the accident I needed a car quick, and that car was on the lot and available with only 29000 km. I decided to give it a shot, since I was able to get them down to a decent price.

Yes, fully loaded. I have no use for the headlamp washers though. ;) I have never actually used them, except to test them out.

I see on Wikipedia that only 63 of the 2012 Plug-ins were sold in Canada. I knew they were uncommon, but that makes them actually outright rare. No wonder I never see these 2012 models on Autotrader. A total of only 1102 were sold in Canada for that entire series, until the end of 2017 according to Wikipedia.

Some people suggested I find some Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax, and just regularly wash the wheels and then spray with this stuff, to get maybe a couple more years out of these rims. I'll do that, but I'll probably want to upgrade the entire car anyway in 2-3 years.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I happened to notice a 3rd gen Plug-In model in the lane beside me, a few months back, in Coquitlam. That's the only time I've seen one in the flesh.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that is rare! I feel fortunate then. There’s a couple around here (Magnetic Grey, Clearwater Blue, two silvers, I think I saw a US import Seaglass Pearl and there’s at least one taxi).

Hmm I was debating whether to get the 2010 Touring or the 2010 Technology package. The Touring would have had the LED low beams with headlight washers which would be more useful here (we use sand... so it gets muddy in the spring).

Mendel Leisk likes this.