1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Ripped Side Wrap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by johnford, Jul 28, 2008.

1. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I (read that mostly the wife) just finished putting the graphics on our car. We decided to do it ourselves because we are just that kind of people.... Figured if we screwed it up we could just order new wraps and go to a professional. We have put on lettering before and this proved to be quite EZ... especially for me since Linda did most of the squeegie work. We also put on the hood decals, tinted windows, all lettering, and clear bra. The bra had to be pulled off, and we ordered a new one and did it over again using a hair dryer to help get around the corners. First time there were wrinkles that just would now come out. Much harder than the side graphics. The window film was the easiest. We used the pre cut film and it fit perfect and just slid into place so EZ. Here are a couple of pics. Now I am looking for new wheels and tires and smoked headlights and tail lights to complete the look. NOT just another white Prius any more.... jf

Attached Files:

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice job, where did you get the wrap from?

3. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice Job. I just heard about a 'wrap' I wanted to do some graphics for my PHEV.
    Chris
    BTW, do you have any Prius slot cars :D

4. echase

echase New Member

Nice work.... did you have to heat shrink the tint on the hatch?

I just did the other windows myself, but am nervous about the back.

Also FYI: The VentureShield film is a lot easier to apply than the 3M for a clearbra.

5. johnford

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just Googled for info on the wrap. I think I used AutoGraphics but there are many and I looked for about a week till I found just what I wanted. As for the windows, the only thing we had to do any custom cutting on was around the wiper on the hatch. Other than that, it all went down very good. Just keep it all very wet until you are ready to squeegie. Can't screw it up without really trying hard. I suggest having a partner to help in case something does go wrong, you have someone to blame it on.....:eek: ...
    Oh, BTW... I do not have a Prius Slot car. Don't even have a place closer than an hour away to play with it if I did... AND, I'm afraid it wouldn't handle very well... but that's another story for another time..... jf

6. echase

echase New Member

So no heat gun was needed on the hatch... and it laid down without finger bubbles on the edge?

Oh, and you said you had to cut around the wiper... did you put the tint on the outside?

Last question: what brand tint, who precut?

I want to do this myself... the clearbra really got my self-confidence up.

7. johnford

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There were some "fingers" that showed up around the wiper area but a little work with the hair dryer shrunk them up. There were a lot of very small imperfections that I didn't like the day we finished but a couple of days in the hot sun and they were gone. Just do the best you can... use a credit card for tight spaces, and it will work out. I used the policy that I could just tear it all out and go have it done professionally if I didn't like it. I am a little picky, but the wife endured through my knit picking and did a really great job. The rear window was the hardest, especially in the area of the wiper where we had to custom cut, but it was amazing how the hair dryer cleaned it all up. The tint goes on the inside and that was a bit of a pain trying to work under it while in the up position. I don't remember what brand we used, but found it on Google. I would assume a little looking at the different companies who offer the pre cut film would get you what you are looking for. The total cost was about 70 bucks for all 7 windows.