1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New section needed on this forum

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by naterprius, Sep 28, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I apologize if this has already been discussed and rejected, but we need to enhance the site with at least one new section:

How-To. Plain and simple, once and for all, a single section for all things (How do I ????). It's okay if it's a work in progress, even a place holder for some topics about which very little information is known. For example, I would love a placeholder for "EV indicator light" even though no one has this working, it's nice to know where to look to see if that is the case. This information should be restricted to what is known for certain and (hopefully) would be heavily moderated. Discussion about the modifications should remain in the regular forum.

Essentially, I'm looking to centralize and consolidate all of the truly useful information. Unfortunately, as newbies arrive to PriusChat, many topics are repeated as some are not successful at searching for their requested info or are concerned that the information they found is not current.
    (I'm guilty of this myself).

For example, I'm kind of tired of reading yet another explanation to one more person why their Verizon Motorola V710 doesn't push the phonebook via bluetooth, or why the adaptive volume control isn't working on the NAV, or whether or not anybody does leather seats...

My goal for this proposal is to leave the discussion for things that are truly new, constructive, entertaining or thought provoking.

Any thoughts?

Nate

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about changing the Knowledge Base from what it currently is to a "How To & FAQ" (hey, that even rhymes) and changing the "Knowledge Base Article Discussion" into more of a "How To Construction Site" to post ideas for future ideas and to clarify all of the facts before turning them into official How To articles.

Suggestions, thoughts?

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the knowledgbase is a fine location for this. Mostly, I am trying to push the group to use it! I would like to see the Electronics and Appearance Modifications consolidated into "Modifications" and then split underneath that with good category descriptors. John1701a does a very nice job on his site... perhaps he will let us glean his information to this site?

I also would like a section under each modification of where to get stuff, like parts and accessories, etc.

I don't have a lot of requirements for how it should it should be laid out, only that there is one location for concise and accurate information that we can look at for known mods; especially things like the mud flaps and their part numbers and sources, part number and install procedure for factory EV button, etc. This information will (likely) never change, and can certainly be considered mature, so anyone who is new here or forgets a detail can quickly and easily find the answers.

Nate

4. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that it would be nice to be able to find 'how to' and known modification information in one spot. Recently I was looking for information about putting on new wheels/tires. Trying to find out what has worked and what hasn't. I know I had seen at least one thread a month or two ago. When I did a search on PriusChat of "custom wheels" there are 122 threads and I knew that several of them were not related to what I was looking for at all because I had been reading those threads, but there were scores more that I would have to look at to see if it really addressed what I was looking for. If you get more generic and put in "rims wheels," "rims tires," or "new tires" there are nearly 300 threads.

I have looked at the KB articles and have found them very helpful.

5. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One example of a 'how to' that may get lost is this recent post -

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4603

about shifting to neutral with the motor and battery disconnected. If you type "neutral" into the search box there are 70 threads. If you put in "shift neutral" there are 178 threads. If you put in "shift and neutral" there are only 18. This implies that the Search box defaults to OR when more than one word is entered. To me it is more intuitive to be AND. Obviously, I need to learn more about the search function. :wink:

Regardless, this is a great 'how to' that could easily become lost if left to a search. I don't have my car yet, so I do not know if this is already covered in the manual (and is easy to find), but for those who do not like to look at the manuals (and you know who you are) being able to do a quick search on a "How To..." forum/folder to find the answers would make life easier.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Danny, can we please have a sub-page under the FAQ link on the main page that lets someone select either the FAQ for using priuschat.com OR the FAQ about Prii?

Nate

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, major kudos to naterprius for all the KnowledgeBase articles he's posting to the KB section. That's a lot of work, and it is appreciated!

As soon as I get past these deadlines, I'll get in there myself and post some, too.

PS All My Points To You!

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    bookrats , thx for the points. I'll cherish them and care for them as if they were my own. :)

I encourage all fans of Priuschat to do the boring, hard, non-stimulating work of adding to the FAQ. Also, when you see a newbie come on board, feel free to point them there!

If you are so inclined, your points will find a happy home with naterprius... Although I may force them to write FAQ's all day to earn their allowance.

Nate