1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new smartkeys caused "new" problems..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mlevant, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mlevant

mlevant Junior Member

I own a 2007 Mica Prius Pk#6. It's been a good car, wait ! a GREAT car, until now... The keys are made so cheap, one broke a few years ago and a month ago my last and only key started to fail. So, I went to Glendale Toyota and requested 2 new keys. It would be a piece of cake, the service guy told me. After four hours he called me and told me, it was a difficult job, but the car would be ready in an hour. I showed up and waited for 2 more hours, because they a hard time programming the keys. I was handed the keys after I paid $800... As soon I arrived home the keys didn't lock my car or unlocked my car with the remote. Isn't that the whole idea of getting a smartkey? Went back the next day and they tried to fix it. Came home and guess what? The car didn't start. It was dead. Only after fiddling with the start botton and clicking the car open and close, the car finally started up. Back at the dealership they told me my battery was dying. ( never had a problem with my battery, until now...) So I got a new battery. As I'm writing this my car only starts up when I do NOT put my smart key in the slot... The dealership told me a chip behind the ignition button needs to be replaced for $300. Wth? Also you headlights need to be replaced for 500 each...Ofcoarse, my lightbulbs die a 130 miles over the 50,000 miles the dealership will replace them for you. I haven't been back to the dealership. I would really like some feedback from somebody. I'm a single mom on a budget and I feel I'm being ripped off. How can my good running car, suddenly have all these problems? What did they do to my car? I'm in Glendale any honest dealership or independent, please step forward.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your dealership sounds like a disaster. Find another one to fix this mess, and contact Toyota about your problems with the first dealer.

Most likely this whole issue started with the demise of your 12V battery. The rest was probably induced by clumsy work at the dealership.

Tom

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed about the dealership disaster (I have no experience w/that dealer). My 2 smartkeys that came w/my 06 Prius that I bought new in January 06 work just fine. I had to change the CR2032 coin cells when they died for <$2 each and I replaced the 12 volt battery as a precauation myself 2 months ago.

I find it very unusual for smartkeys to fail. I think this is the first I've heard of it.

It sounds like you have HIDs. Unfortunately, 1 of mine started winking out ~800 miles after the 50K miles and ~2 months after the 5 years so the class action settlement did me no good. If you do have the factory HIDs, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B00480J4J6/ref=au_pf_dp_chart should be identical to the ones that came w/your car. They were for me.

I did it myself but it was admittedly not smooth sailing for me http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...d-tank-trying-replace-passenger-side-hid.html. Some folks have smaller hands/more skilled than me. I ended up having to partly remove the front bumper cover after the spring clip (that would normally hold the bulb in) came off. :( The links in the above post along with http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...troubleshooting-2004-prius-2.html#post1306311 should help, if you choose to DIY. (BTW, if you have HIDs on your 07, D2R bulbs are NOT the right ones.)

Buying the bulbs from Amazon saved me a bundle: dealer wanted $167 for the bulbs and I don't remember how much for labor... $80+. In the past, they said they'd be unwilling to install customer provided parts as well. But again, not smooth sailing for me along w/sore arms and a lot of swearing.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You paid for two keys. Whoever was doing your key programming screwed it up badly, and you should not have to pay another cent to get two keys working with full functionality. Start with the service manager at Glendale and insist that they complete the work that you paid for.

Call around to other Toyota shops in your area to get a quote for the headlights (do them both and save the still-working bulb). 06-09 Prius and Avalon are the only ones that use D4R bulbs.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. In the event that the ECU/ballast is at fault, you will at least not have thrown away the "bad" bulb.

If you can't change the bulb yourself, see if you can get a dealer or mechanic (preferably w/Prius experience) to do it for less (labor only) while you provide the part.

Toyota service departments should be charging $150 + tax for their part while the D4R I linked to at Amazon was identical to what I removed from my car. Both were Philips D4R, made in Germany.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I should have been more specific, get HID quotes from "independent Toyota specialty shops", not "Toyota dealers"!!!