1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Sonata Hybrid Joins My 09 Prius

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by snead_c, Jul 11, 2011.

1. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently needed to replace my 06 Volvo and went new Prius shopping. Unfortunately there are none locally and our dealer could only suggest I leave my name and number on the list they had and I'd be called if something comes in in the next few months. Any Camry Hybrids were also at least a month away as well.
    I stopped by the local Hyundai dealer and 2 Sonata Hybrids had just pulled in. After driving one I bit the bullet.:eek:
    Some early observations:
    1.Sonata drives very much like a traditional car. Not necessarily better or worse just different than my Prius that feels very connected to the fuel economy experience.
    2.Driver's seat is wonderful.
    3.Fuel economy is about 20% less than my Prius (34mpg-42mpg averages and with 29 worst and 48 best)
    4.Ride is quiet.
    5.Large fuel tank allows over 500 miles on fillup (no bladder, Yea!)
    6.Passenger compartment feels airy and roomier.Tiny trunk.
    7.Prius fuel economy guages are more intuitive,informative and useful. Flowers and points just don't cut it for me.
    8.I suspect we'll use the Sonata more on the highway for comfort and Prius more in mixed and city driving for better mpg.
    9.Price paid was just over $26k plus taxes and tag.
    10.Warrany is better but hope I don't need it as is the case with our Prius.

I hope this report doesn't get me flamed and ejected from the site. I love our Prius but didn't want to purchase a used one at new prices and I really have been happy here.:rolleyes:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may get ejected for posting in the wrong section. : p

3. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats to you! We need more hybrids in the market!

More competition = lower prices/better quality + keeping Toyota on their toes

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! keep us informed. sounds a lot like our hycam and same price as well.

5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sorry :( Moderator please move it if possible and I'll bend over for 3 wet noodles !:eek:

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations...

But I don't quite buy that you "needed" to do this. I mean, you already have a running vehicle....The Prius and The Volvo..was only a 06...so what? A few month wait would of killed you? Was the Volvo that near death?

I suspect you've wanted Sonata Hybrid...conciously or subconciously...and different is always exciting...

Yeah..you've brought a new mistress into the garage..and her name is Sonata!

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice car and I think you'll find it much nicer than the Prius on the highway and/or for longer trips.

8. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Much the same logic would have prevented me from trading my 2000 Jetta for our 2009 Prius.
    Perhaps you are right. I was ready for a Volvo replacement BUT:
    Actually I wanted a new sand or red 2011 Prius IV. :(
    Sure, I do like my new red headed mistress ;) however $15,000 Volvo with at least $6000 hail damage and in addition possibly having to cut and replace the roof if shop couldn't get the roof bumps out was "the last straw" that helped me decide to move on. I used the insurance $ to pay down the Sonata, took advantage of a temporary $700 discount on the hybrid, sold the Volvo "as is" for $2500 less than repairable value. I could have done nothing and kept the insurance $, used the badly dented car as basic transportation, waited several months or even years and then only purchased a car when actually needed and not wanted. I suspect I'd have saved some money but not been satisfied. But that's just not me. :rolleyes:

9. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks and Right. Highway cruising is very nice and I can't stress how much better the driver's seat feels.

10. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your post, I too am considering the Sonata Hybrid to replace my 2007 altima hybrid. When you get settled, post some real world mpg numbers. I am curious as to how it stands up to the NAH numbers. So far sounds like you are enjoying your new ride. Congrats

11. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was considering trading my 2010 Prius III for the Sonata hybrid mainly because I just can't get my 6'3" comfortable in the driver's seat. The main reason I didn't go for it was my local Hyundai dealer called up and wanted to sell me one for $7,000 over MSR. This insanity inspired me enough to wait for the Prius V. I think it will be more comfortable because the photos show that it doesn't have an obtrusive and inconvenient center consul. If the V isn't comfortable I'll hunt down a different Hyundai dealer.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep us informed of your observations in comparison with the passage of time.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Keep us posted with the ownership experience.

1 person likes this.
  14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  15. Timw

Timw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 6'3 and 220, I love my 2011 Prius, I fit fine in it, I moved from a 2001 Corolla so maybe that's why. Also ride my 94 Goldwing most of the year anyway. Congrats on your new Sonata, I fell in love with the looks of the new Sonata when they came out, if I didn't drive 70 miles round trip to work I would have chosen a new Sonata instead, still drool at the sight of one.

1 person likes this.
  16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So far.
    1020 mi..mpg : mixed driving, hilly, hot w/ac,light traffic 34.6 and highway 39 with the traffic flow :cool:
    Drives and feels comfortable like a full sized traditional car with a little "weird" feeling from the transmission. From the posted tech review I can agree that the upgrade package would have been a lot more informative and entertaining but...$5000 :eek:
    I just mounted my garage clicker and Garmin and the cloth seats are nicely ventilated on a hot day.;)

1 person likes this.