1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New speakers in Front Door panel - '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by steveduer1, Oct 5, 2006.

1. steveduer1

steveduer1 New Member

Took delivery last week of an 06 Seaside Pearl with a stock radio, not JBL. The stock speakers are $2.00 items, just terrible. I have found Sparky's info. on removing the rear panels, but not the front.
    Anyone have a step-by-step guide on how to remove the front panels......I already know how to do the speakers, just not the panels........steve

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The front door panels pull off like the rear panels, but you must pull off the tweeters first (pull out from the top, a clip will be left in the door but it's easy to get to when the big panel is off). I think Sparky said, and I reiterate, be careful at the color change. The top panel is just melted to the lower panel and can be delicate. Get a puller tool to be safe.

I highly recommend some sound deadening material for the doors. If you don't want to cover the whole surface, at least put a couple of layers on the inside of the outer skin near the lower speakers to help keep some road noise out and some speaker noise in. Foil-faced butyl rubber is best, IMHO.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Oct 6 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]328849[/snapback]</div>
    You can get a clip removal tool at auto parts store for under $10. Get the kind that has a real handle and whose tip is bent for easier prying. I put a bit of tape underneath my tip to prevent scratching the paint.

Where can one buy "foil-faced butyl rubber"?

4. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 2 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]471491[/snapback]</div>
    It goes by several names. One of the most familiar is "Dynamat"

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since this is an old thread revived, I'll point to an old site that still seems fairly valid:

Sound Deadener Showdown

6. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

If you don't want to pay the dynamat price, Meijer had some generic sound deadener in their automotive aisle. You probably don't have a Meijer unless your in the midwest like me. It was 12 bucks for enough to do one door I think, Dynamt I think is like 60 bucks. I don't love my prius that much.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 3 2007, 01:22 AM) [snapback]472108[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent stuff. Thanks, Bill.

Time to put that clip remover to some good use...

8. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the great link Bill.

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elephanthead @ Jul 3 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]472236[/snapback]</div>
    If the product's that cheap then perhaps it's the asphalt-based stuff which is probably not recommended.
    I figured if I'd do this I might as well do it right the first time and be done. Too much panel removing can
    be hazardous to your health (and/or marriage) :)

After going through the article Bill sent I'm leaning toward Second Skin right now, especially after viewing
    some of the posts on their customer forum:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/index.php

Looks like a 40 sq.ft package should be enough for my needs. I've already ripped out the hatch panel
    last night to sneak a peek. I think I'll sound dampen that sucker too while I'm at it. But the floor will probably have to wait.

10. aeronaut

aeronaut New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 3 2007, 01:22 AM) [snapback]472108[/snapback]</div>
    Curse you, Bill Merchant. You've just turned a 3 hour change out the factory speakers job into a week long dampen the whole damn car job. Of course, it will sound better, and be done right, but I don't have that kind of time, ....

Regards,
    aeronaut