1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New speakers make cassette sound bad.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bam36, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Bam36

Bam36 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently had some Rockford Fosgate speakers (Prime R1652-S 6.5" component) installed in the front to replace the blown JBL woofers I had and had the tweeters changed just because they came with the new speakers. Since they were put in my music sounds papery but only using the cassette adapter (I tested it on a home radio and it sounded fine) I haven't tried my luck with CD's but the FM radio sounds fine. I was wondering if it's some sort of incompatibility or if there's a wiring problem (can't fathom one because of the standard radio still working. I bought them because they matched the RMS wattage of the JBL prius. What do you think is causing the problem because I don't want to go back to using an FM transmitter and I want to listen to my ipod again.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This may be due to impedance mismatching and/or if the feeders from the amp are not wired correctly. My only reference if for the Gen III JBL system, so the info may vary. Your Fosgates are 4 ohm, the front Gen III JBLs are 1.8 and 2 ohm. Another thing to consider is the JBL door speakers put out more low end freqs. Wattage is not the problem. This may not apply to your Gen II system exactly, but should be close give you something else to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, well first off, did you replace the speakers with speakers that have the same impedance as the OEM speakers? You need to maintain the proper impedance for the JBL amp to work properly. Look at the magnets on the OEM speakers you removed. There should be a stamped designator either 2 Ω , 4 Ω, 8 Ω, 16 Ω, 32 Ω
    I think you get the idea, and see if it matches the numbers of the replacement speakers! If it does not there could be a problem!
    You state the FM sounds OK? But cassette is bad? Did you try playing a cassette tape, did that sound OK?. If you have the Disc option, play one make sure it sounds fine. If the tape playback also sounds bad the tape head inside the unit may be out of alignment. You would have to pull the unit and get access to the head alignment screws! there are things to look out for in head realignment,
    Azimuth is the alignment of the heads perpendicular to the direction of tape travel. If the azimuth is misadjusted, any program recorded on both tracks will be played back slightly out of phase.
    Zenith is the alignment of the heads in the same plane as the tape. For example, the bottom of the head can be kicked out too far, which may cause the top tracks not to fully contact the head, and would cause the tape to ride up on the head, snapping back down occasionally. The zenith can also be misaligned so that the top of the head is shoved too far out. The head should be aligned so that the tape rides against it with smooth contact to the entire surface.
    Wrap is the alignment of the head so that the tape contacts the head at the center, aligned with the head gaps. The wrap adjustment causes the head to swing in an arc centered on the middle of the head, and moves the center of the head from the left to the right of center, depending on which way you adjust the screw.
    Head height is adjusted so that the tape rides perfectly centered from top to bottom on the head. You can tell this immediately just by looking at the tape as it rides across the heads.
    Tape-to-head contact is just that - the head should be positioned far enough into the tape path to ensure good contact with the tape. If it were too far back, insufficient pressure would cause playback to be inconsistent.

Since you say the cassette adapter works OK in a different player, I think you might have Tape Head problems!

Let us know what you figure out!

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KK6PD, how did you make the "ohm symbol" with your keyboard?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ω Never mind. Hold down the Alt key and type 234 on the numeric keypad like so. Google is your friend.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like copy/paste!!!:D