1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Stereo Install (JBL Work Around?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Duncwarw, Jun 3, 2024.

1. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all.
    I bought a touch-screen android stereo so I could have "real" blue tooth, and all the other bells and whistles.
    I have installed many aftermarket stereos in dozens of cars and I know how to solder and heat shrink.

This time, it's been a nightmare.
    In short, I work six days a week and I'm pretty much always tired at the end of a given day.
    Also, I try to spend my one day per week NOT working.
    Sorry for the long preamble but I thought it a good idea....

The plugs I removed from the "Prius" stereo did not match the plugs that came with the new unit.
    I tried matching color for color as one youtube video suggested and that went nowhere fast.
    Ultimately, the new unit powers on and does everything EXCEPT make a sound.

After reading a couple of excellent threads here, I learned that the JBL system might be tough to work with.
    SO, after learning that, I ran a pair of jumper wires from the supposed right-rear door speaker wiring of the new harness directly to the speaker. Great!, I have sound. What I don't have is volume.
    If I turn up the volume on the new unit, I get distortion. Just like my guitar amp.

Can I just bypass the JBL amp and install a pre (or power amp)?
    I don't care about the steering wheel controls (though the new unit claims it will do that).
    A touch screen will serve the same purpose.

Thanks, in advance for any wisdom you can offer and again, sorry for the long read.

2. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my understand, hooking up those Android units should be very simple. Your car either has a JBL unit or it does not. It is just a matter of buying (if not included) the correct cable harness for them.

Yours is a JBL unit. So you need to have the correct harness connectors for them. It will look like one with a canbus box connected at one end (plugs in).

If your harness does not have one of these Canbus box, and it only breaks to 3 white connectors, then you have the connectors/harness for the non JBL unit. Exact unit for non JBL:

wire.JPG

Notice: all you need is the correct harness for the solution.

3. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

I have two of those harnesses and what I found was that at the JBL unit under the passenger seat, the speaker wires are in BOTH the blue connector and a tan (maybe was once white) connector.

What I ended up doing was to create a new harness to go from the two plugs at the JBL, under the carpet and up to the harness at the new unit.
    I was able to take one of the new connectors to plug into the blue one at the JBL, and solder the speaker wires at the other end into the harness for the new stereo.
    So far, it powers up and powers the speakers and sounds fine and loud enough.

Thanks again for your helpful response.

4. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW:

Though I'm dealing with (no doubt) self-created other (non-stereo) issues, the stereo works without the JBL with no problems and good sound. So, it can be done.
    I hope this helps somebody in the future