1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New stereo makes auto headlights not turn off automatically

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by savingtheearth, Apr 25, 2006.

1. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

Had a new stereo system put in this week (JL audio speakers, 10" subwoofer, Clean sweep, Sirius). Sounds amazing. Two questions. One is the auto headlights dont seem to turn off when I exit the car now. Also, the Prius dosn't seem to contain the sound very much- I can hear most of the music from outside of the vehicle. Any ideas on both? Thanks all.

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Don't have an answer for you, but I'd be interested in knowing where you got this done and the price range if possible.

Thanks,

Ken

3. savingtheearth

Whole thing costs about 3 grand. Sounds great- have a seperate volume control and subwoofer control. My sirius plug and play tuner sounds great and i can detach it and use it in my house too! A place in Newhall called Soundsations did it.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like they might've fiddled around with one of the wires and forgot to put it back. The Auto-Off is based on the door - i.e. it'll go off when the driver's door is opened so they might've accidentally knocked a wire such that it lost contact or something.

As for sound, yeah anything above 25 can be heard outside the car.

5. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I hope it sounds good for 3 grand :) What amp or amps did you use ? I'm thinking of doing something along the same lines and trying to decide on equipment and how much power.

Ken

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Man 3 grand?!?!?!?!?

seems a little excessive to me... my last car i dumnped about 1 grand of audio equipment in, and it sounded great (new head unit, amps, suround, and subs). granted, it wasn't quite as nice as what i had at home, but thats comparing apples and oranges.

7. savingtheearth

1 JL Audio 300 w amp
    1 JL Audio 400 W. amp
    2 sets (8) 6" speakers JL Audio
    1 JL Audio 10" sub
    1 JL Audio Clean Sweep
    Kit for Sirius

Sounds a lot better than the JBL that was in there- sub is amazing. Will tweak a little to get more midrange. Had to add a different volume control and bass level switches. May need to add some more sound deadening for both levels outside and to make a warmer feel. Looking into a dsp for echo. Any ideas? The box they made for the sub is awesome- perfect.

8. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savingtheearth @ Apr 26 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]245581[/snapback]</div>
    Where is it located, and how much space does it take up? Pics?

9. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Problem can also be that they used the illumination wire behind the radio as a ground. Very commom problem, as it tests as ground when the lights are off, but goes to 12v when they are on. The radio could be feeding back into this wire, not allowing it to rest at ground, causing your issue.

Any other symptoms happen to the radio when the lights are turned on or off?

10. savingtheearth

As far as the sub- it is located in the rear right cutout of the trunk. I will take a picture of it- it pulls out as well.
    As far as other problems with the lights- haven't seen any yet. Will keep you posted. Has anyobe added surround sound or dsp to system to give it a warmer feel- more echo. Mine sounds good- but missing some midrange- I wonder if adding a speaker to the top of dash (which was disconnected) would help.
    Thanks

11. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savingtheearth @ Apr 26 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]245789[/snapback]</div>

Midrange problems are pretty common with 6" separate set-ups. Usually the problem is that the crossover that comes with the speakers has a cut-off that is too low, not allowing the 6" speakers to play enough mid-range. Normally we used to install an equalizer (sometimes with DSP) so that the driver could "force" more mid-range into the system. Otherwise, you would have to create a custom crossover instead of using the one that comes with the speakers they installed.

DSP's can really vary on both price and quality. Myself, I think that a lot of them did not sound very good...and I preferred installing a good equalizer instead. A lot of the equalizers also have a separate sub control on them, eliminating the need for a separate volume control for the subs.

As far as adding a middle speaker...unless you have a head unit with a true center channel output, adding a middle speaker will ruin your left/right separation.

I live in Valencia too! What color do you drive...I will look for you.

12. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

If you're going to post a picture of your sub, could you post some pictures of how/where the equipment was installed.

Thanks !!

Ken

13. savingtheearth

Hey MSSMITH95- thanks for all that info.
    I dont actually live near Newhall thats just where the audio guy is.
    I'm in LA. I will pass him that info and see what tweakings he can do. Can he put a surroud sound element into the system?
    Thanks
    Also would more sound deadening in the doors make the sound warmer?

14. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savingtheearth @ Apr 27 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]246329[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that depends. The head unit you are using is where it all starts. I read your posts...and it looks like you are using your factory unit...is that right?

If that is the case, then anything you do will always be subject to the sound limitations of that unit. In order to get true surround or DSP you will have to start there...otherwise you are just buying something that imitates that sound.

This could also be a big factor with your missing mids. Factory stereos are dampened to remove all harshness and to give a smooth sound. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for a high end system. Amplifying that sound only increases its limitations.

Now, if you have switched the head unit, scratch all above...but you would still need to examine an aftermarket unit for its cababilities to deliver actual surround sound channels.

Sound deadening can work to better channel the sound into the car, but it helps more on the lows, then the highs and mids. Mids are tough to get. I used to install a completely separate 3" midrange speaker in the door to help. However, it was tough to keep them alive, as too much bass killed them, and too much high killed your ears. We practially had to adjust the EQ to every song, as the amount of mid range varied so widely from artist to artist and even from song to song.

If you need another good place to go, try Stereo City in Culver City. The owners name is Horst. He is an expert with crossovers (can build them from scratch!).

Years ago I work for a sister store that was in Woodland Hills (no longer there). Worked there for 7 years!

Tell him that Mike Smith, who used to work for the other store recommended you.

Good luck!

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savingtheearth @ Apr 25 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]245057[/snapback]</div>
    My only question is, "Does the oil-canning effect on the roof from the high sounds levels reduce your mileage?" :lol:

Seriously, I would take it back to whoever did the installation. They have likely managed to get something "whacked" since your headlights don't turn off automatically. It's probably some kind of leakage around the headlight control relay caused by the new wiring. Maybe a ground issue (just a guess).

16. savingtheearth

Thanks guys for all that advice.
    Mike- i tried stero City and Horst is no longer there.
    Oddly enough it seems like the headlights fixed themselves!! As I forgot about the problem and accidentally did not turn off the headlights when I got home. There were off the next morning and subsequently when I leave them on they are off when I lock the car-- so thats good.
    As far as the mid- I think he had to keep the head unit in order for full functioning of the mFD as Ihave a package 7. He added the two amps to power the new speaker, but the head unit is the same- so it sounds like we may be limited as far as the mid- which sucks-- any other ideas?
    Thanks, again

17. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd suggest going with an in dash equalizer. You could even get one with
    "spatial" effects like BBE. True 5.1 channel surround decoding won't be possible
    unless you swap to an expensive head unit with the surround decoder built-in.
    The tradeoff there is that you lose the steering wheel controls & integration with the MFD.
    A nine or eleven band EQ can give you the subwoofer level control, fader, equilizer
    pre-sets, and crossover cutoff adjustment all from right there in the dash.
    There's a convenient space for it right below the factory radio (if you don't have the 6-disc changer there).

I've been thinking about adding one of these myself. I like to fiddle with the sound, and the
    bass & treble adjustments on the base model head unit leave a lot to be desired.