1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Struts and Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My newly acquired 2007 Prius has a less than optimal ride. I have another 2007 that feels more solid/quiet and it has lots of original parts.

The steering also feels a little more difficult/stiffer on the newly acquired Prius. Was considering replacing the "turning" parts while also maybe trying to eliminate the road noise. Struts and ball joints... yes. I am ignoring the real steering components for now.

Assuming I go through RockAuto

Struts KYB? Anyone use the KYB complete strut assembly and have a satisfactory ride after? I am not a fan of some quick-struts and the mushy ride they provide on weak springs. I would rebuild from a strut only and reuse the springs and mounts, but, for the first time, I think I should also pay attention to the top mount's bearing.

Anyone have any good results with Moog ball joints? Not sure I need these either, I couldn't detect any play on the existing ball joints and I don't think that would make steering significantly tighter, but another option once I am taking things apart.

My diagnostic skills are not the best. I may be better served removing the old parts prior to ordering anything, but I don't know if I can tell a good from bad strut top mount. turning by hand is not the same as when the weight of the car is applied. Any thoughts on that? Ball joints I assume would be easy to evaluate once parts are removed.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually I try to change the ball joints the strut the wheel bearing and possibly the end link to the sway bar all at the same time so everything on that side of the car has been dealt with Moog is fine for the lower ball joint I use reasonably inexpensive wheel bearings and had no problems I have an extra set of aluminum arms already outloaded ready to bolt on just for this because I have a bunch of these cars KYB struts I've been using since the late '80s in other Toyotas and other Japanese cars with great luck I like the gas a just.. Not so much the gas rider but they are softer and give a better ride quality kind of like the Toyota originally came with The a just models are a little stiffer even on their softest setting if you have the ones with the top adjustment.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Believe it or not some of the cheap basic struts you can find online you don't like the Monroe that's fine they don't have weak springs I don't think that's their problem but anyway you can get you're going to want to probably be replacing the springs you know at $180,000 miles 210 whatever it is. At least I would and then the top bearings is definitely and that's probably where some of the noise is coming from if you have some All that stuff gets wonky and loose it's not made solidly to begin with it's just the nature of the design and unless you're going to swap out the coilovers and pillow ball mounts and all kinds of stuff yeah I doubt it. But that's an expensive route buying KYB inserts and I don't even know if these Prius tubes unscrew or you can get the caps off of me and I can get them off and if the insert can actually go into the tubing if it's skinny enough and I can shim it up right I can get the tops welded back on or tacked back on no problem done it many times and other vehicles and then you're buying upper strut mount separately buying reasonably good ones that's going to throw you into pretty decent costs but should net what you're looking for.

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like rockauto has complete kyb struts for $135 each or so. Probably makes sense to replace all rather than just the strut $55 and the mount $50 and isolators and ...

Almost at the same cost already less springs. hopefully the springs in KYB quick strut as good as OEM.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would like to thank the springs on the KYB strut were OEM or they they're OEM equipment manufacturer from a lot of Japanese cars made after 1989 somewhere in there after they got their foothold I remember working early with TRD and they were using them almost exclusively this is when they were working on a very few upfits for very specific models of car generally for racing I mean real racing like in group A and b rally and all that Darren and RJ and all them over there were great guys that's when they were in Torrance and a little tiny hole in the wall.

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to hold off on the struts for just a little while. will post back if I do the swap.