1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) events – Prius Gen 3, 2011 model in UK

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenJuice, May 2, 2014.

1. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I experienced this for the first time in our Gen 3 last Saturday, then four times yesterday and my wife experienced it once today. I have contacted a local dealer, Jemca Toyota, who have booked the car in for a ‘diagnostics’ check in 12 days time.

I thought it might be important to post my experience here and on the Toyota Owners Club Forum, in case it happens to others, so that you may know what to expect and also in case others’ experiences can be pooled.

A brief internet search appears to show that the issue of ‘sudden unintended acceleration (SUA)’ in Toyotas and the recalls that took place, seem to have died down or become less reported since 2011. This post is also to record that it *can* still happen now and also to firmly confirm and record the independently witnessed events in my car to be absolutely nothing to do with the floormat interfering with the accelerator pedal!

Background:
    Toyota Prius T-Spirit Safety Pack; Registered September 2011 (still within warrantee).
    Orders for this model could only be placed for manufacture in Japan, delivery to UK was delayed because of the Tsunami. Very pleased with car. Purchased new with no problems for the last 2.5 years. Full service history with standard annual services completed and no problems.
    All events below took place whilst in Eco mode. SOC ranging between 45 – 55%.
    I have ScanGauge II installed, so could observe some additional information during these events.

Sudden unintended acceleration
    :
    1. What it feels like:
    The accelerator pedal drops away from your foot. You feel a gentle but firm acceleration as you are pressed into your seat. You can hear ICE revs increasing.
    It is NOT like an aggressive ‘foot down’ full acceleration. It is also NOT like a gentle pulling away at lights. It is a firm, definite and insistent acceleration similar to hitting ‘RESUME’ when in cruise control or when you push up the cruise speed by 5 or 10 mph by flicking the cruise lever upwards (except that it is happening at 10 mph on an urban/city road!). It is much faster than normal acceleration in an urban/city traffic. If you do not take immediate and decisive action, a collision will certainly take place (in other words, you know you *have* to act to regain control)

2. How long it lasts:Approximately 5 seconds. Possibly up to 10 seconds (which is quite long when travelling in traffic!).
    SUA is ONLY when ICE is on (i.e., never with MG1/2 driving only). ICE revs are between 1950 and 2100. Watching SGII on one occasion, it terminated as soon as coolant temp hit 60 C (which is a known ICE shutdown temperature on a Gen 3 – therefore, an ICE shutdown control signal can terminate it).

3. Controlling the car:You can overcome it (easily) by applying the footbrake. You will have to press harder than normal. It is possible at all times to control the car’s speed and bring it safety to a halt (if you want to). Slipping the car into Neutral will also work. If you go into Neutral when still moving, a yellow triangle appears on the dash display and you get a loud continuous beep alarm. This is a different behaviour to normal. Normally, if you slip the car into Neutral when moving, you do not get this alarm. This alarm can really spook your passengers! After a couple of occasions of this, I decided there was no point spooking my mother-in-law each time, so I just used the foot brake until the car stopped accelerating. I have now done this twice, with my passengers none the wiser that SUA had happened. There is therefore no need to stop the car, you can carry on driving until the SUA event stops by itself. Just stay calm and remain in control. On the observations of a link with ICE activity, I think you can abort the SUA by any method that ‘encourages’ ICE shutdown. Bringing the car to a complete stop will of course do this.

4. More details of each event:
    a. April 28, 2014. Second journey of the day. Previous journey 5 hours earlier. Reversed then pulled out of a parallel parked residents bay onto a clear residential road. Reached about 10 mph when I felt SUA which took me up to about 15-20 mph before I reacted (it was my first experience). I held the speed with foot brake then slipped into Neutral. Slowed car down and pulled in to a stop with the alarm and yellow triangle going off. Switched the car off and on again. Everything back to normal for next 5 days.

b. May 1, 2014. Third journey of the day. Previous journey 30 mins before. SUA in stop-start traffic at around 10 mph. Controlled speed with footbrake. Watching SGII in the corner of my eye, saw coolant temp hit 60C, ICE shutdown and the SUA terminated while still moving in Drive.

c. May 1, 2014. Fourth journey of the day. Previous journey 2.5 hours earlier. Three SUA events on this one journey. One event was at 25-30 mph on a moderate incline. SGII showed ICE at 1950 – 2100 RPM. The car maintained its speed on this incline with my feet completely off the pedals as if I was in CC! Final event was after car was in Stage 4 (S4) of engine warm-up cycle (coolant was over 80C and SOC around 50+%).

[I removed the driver’s floormat after this journey, just to prove the point]

d. May 2, 2014. Second journey of the day. Previous journey 1 hour before. Wife was driving this time (she was passenger once before and I had primed her to know what to do). SUA started as she was slowing down to stop at a junction. Her foot was already on the footbrake, so she just pressed a little harder. As soon as stationary, ICE shutdown as expected and everything was back to normal. I was not in the car. My mother in-law was passenger and witnessed events (a) and (d).

Incidentally, my vehicle was listed under the recent Safety Recall (software fault of the Intelligent Power Module). I received my letter from VOSA about a month ago and thought I could wait till the annual service in the summer, as I have been really busy at work. When I called the dealer about the SUA, I was informed that this was ‘a separate problem’ and ‘something different’. They would conduct something that sounded like a ‘software flush’ to address the Recall issue at the same visit as this ‘diagnostics’ check. They also threatened to charge me to pay for insurance cover for the replacement vehicle, but given that the Prius is still under warrantee, I am a member of Club Toyota and am covered by Toyota Motor Insurance, I am going to try and get this negotiated away!

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interested and detailed report. Please keep us posted.

GreenJuice likes this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had unintended acceleration in my Prius when it was new.

Can you guess what it was? I put a Toyota rubber mat under the Toyota carpet mat. The carpet mat got under the accelerator pedal and caused the car to accelerate. This problem has been widely reported and applies to many cars with that design of accelerator.

That's why Toyota say only to use one set of mats at once and to ensure they're the official ones for the car and that they're clipped into place. Use of a loose mat will cause it to slip under the accelerator (it doesn't have to jam in there) and that causes the car to accelerate. It was a brown trouser moment as I was in traffic at the time, but it has never occurred since I clipped the carpet mat down. I left the rubber mats under the carpet mats in all the other seats (I used the car as a taxi and you want to protect the carpet :) )

I'm curious why you felt you had to remove your mat. Why? If it was the official one, it is no where near the accelerator pedal to even be considered as a cause. Assuming you have it clipped down? If not, it doesn't have to slip far under the accelerator to interfere with it.

GreenJuice likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :eek: do you live near a military installation of some sort?

m.wynn and GreenJuice like this.
  5. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this was my car, I would immediately take it to the Toyota dealer, possibly even have it towed there. I would expect a courtesy car. I'd contact Toyota corporate to tell them what the car is doing and what dealer it is at.

GreenJuice likes this.
  6. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wait, you feel the accelerator pedal itself being moved from you?

That doesn't sound like something that is possible in the Prius that I know. Are there Priuses that have a mechanical actuator to operate cruise control? If not, then I don't see how this is possible.

GreenJuice likes this.
  7. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please report this to Toyota IMMEDIATELY!!! I just bought my Prius about 6 weeks ago. I almost passed on the car because of the past events all over the news. It has always been in the back of my mind.

GreenJuice likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this pedal travel is interesting. what power source could cause the pedal to move?

GreenJuice likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't panic, most of us have never had this happen, some with multiple pro for over 10 years.

10. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because there are so many web postings that blame the floor mats. I had to completely eliminate this as a possibility.

To be honest, I still can't visualise how a mat lying UNDER the pedal can cause the pedal to depress. Am I missing something?

My mat was clipped in place. I'll get a photo and post it later. You will see that even if it had come off the clips it would have slipped under the bottom of the pedal. If it somehow slipped on top of the pedal, I am sure I would have felt it.

London. There probably are all kinds of installations here! The place is also crawling with Priuss (Prii?).

At this time I can't answer why, but have a suggestion (see reply below).

Yes, on each occasion when my foot was over the accelerator pedal when I happened, I felt the pedal fall away. To have a firm acceleration that activates the ICE in Eco mode (indicator to the right of the middle on the HSI), there is a lot of pedal travel and it is very noticeable.

I posted that it *felt* like when I hit RESUME on cruise control. I realise now that I never have my foot on the gas pedal when I do this, so I don't know if it moves when in C.C.

My thought or suggestion is that pedal motion *might* take place in cruise control, so there could be some sort of mechanism or actuator. I will test it the next time I am on the Motorway, which will be in about a week.

Yes, this is my second consecutive Prius. I love these cars and the level of technology they bring to the average man. You can track my postings on Priuschat over several years. I also post under the same name in Toyota Owners Club and CleanMPG. Trust me, I am not a troll and have no disclosures.

A part of my posting is exactly to say - *don't panic* if it happens to you. It is a bit surprising, but manageable. I hope that message comes through.

That is also why I am happy to wait 12 days for an appointment slot when the garage has a courtesy car. The only (slight) objection I had was when she quoted that I had to pay £10 insurance cover for the courtesy car!

iPhone ?

11. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you will learn to love your Prius like I and many others on this forum do.

At this time, to me, it is just a 'glitch' and a bit inconvenient because I have to take the car in when I am really busy with work commitments. It is really too early to tell what where it will go from here, but on the basis of statistics alone, you are unlikely to be affected.

iPhone ?

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly. Most people assume the pedal has to be pressed for the car to accelerate. The mat being UNDER the accelerator is counter intuitive, but I believe the sensor for telling the car where the accelerator is is under the pedal. The mat slides under and knocks or interferes with the sensor telling the car to accelerate. So the pedal can be normal and yet the car will move. That was my personal experience.

I wouldn't say try it at home :) but certainly get down on your hands and knees with a small torch and have a look. I've sent you a private message too as I know any slight criticism of the Prius in this forum can get quite heated.

GreenJuice likes this.
  13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is pedal movement on it's own, that suggests something is applying pressure to it. When the CC is engaged and you take your foot off the gas pedal, it will spring back. If you go over a hill with CC engaged, the gas pedal does not move in a corresponding manner. If you disengage the CC, unless you apply pressure to the pedal, your speed will start dropping. As the OP stated, he never had his foot on the pedal to correct his original statement, so I'm wondering why he made the statement to begin with. It sound's like he may be experiencing some kind of surge in the system - something is occurring that is telling the drive-by-wire system to accelerate slightly, as compared to other sudden acceleration events where it came on strongly. It could also be something that is causing the gas pedal to not release fully, therefore leading the OP to think the car is accelerating. Once the dealer investigates, hope the OP reports back - no matter the findings so we're not left to speculate to the detriment of the OP.

GreenJuice likes this.
  14. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Not going past that big beige and green glass building in Vauxhall at the tme, were you...?

Thanks both for sharing the info and being so calm about how to deal with it. Frightening, but reassuring!

GreenJuice likes this.
  15. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When Greenjuice says London is crawling with prii it doesn't surprise me given the difference in the cost of fuel from those of us in the U.S. Still though, I never understood why a big gas guzzling pickup truck or SUV to drive everyday is considered a must. Then again, I was born and grew up in the Deep South (YeeHaw!!) but never developed that shortsighted, wasteful mindset.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the floor mat problem is totally misunderstood. it started because a dealer in san diego put an aftermarket rubber floor mat on top of the standard mat in a loaner lexus. the rubber mat crept up under the accelerator and when the lexus driver mashed the pedal to the metal, (or rubber, as it were) the bottom edge of the pedal got trapped above the top edge of the rubber floor mat, holding it in place. the standard carpet mats cannot possibly do this, even with the old style longer pedal. that's why i never bothered having my pedal shaved, or wire tying my carpets in place. (or worse yet, going to the dealer and having them confiscate my floor mats):cool:

m.wynn likes this.
  17. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never thought of a Prius owner as one to "put the pedal to the floor" in the first place. Seems counterintuitive to the reason I bought one

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly, and yet, you can find them right here. they just prefer 30mpg to 10.:cool:

m.wynn and Stratman like this.
  19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nonsense, some driving conditions require WOT. The one that is common to me is left turn when high traffic and NO left turn arrow.

20. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! My dealer had a person come in for the gas pedal repair and floor mat fix. The customer had seven floor mats on top of each other.
    Were do they find these people!:whistle: