1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New system, kept OEM head unit & tweeters, sounds amazing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brock, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I would post this in case some of you were looking to put a system in your Prius, while keeping OEM head unit. Although one company (I forget the name) makes a drop in OEM replacement for the Prius, it is a ton more money, so I kept the head unit since it really does fine and has pretty good features & functionality.

It sounds amazing with all types of music, mammoth range and adjust-ability with the 360.3, also the sub has a separate control to tune it and adjust volume for all types of music. I couldn't be happier, no it's not cheapest set up, but it's also not the most expensive. It was professionally installed by Audio Plus in Prescott, AZ- Yes I could have got it a little cheaper by DIY and sourcing parts online, but then I would have had to sacrifice professionalism and their awesome customer service and warranty. The sub & enclosure are removable if I need the space I just have to unplug the inputs. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

****please note Prius factory speakers are riveted in so be prepared to have to drill them out****
    ****front factory speakers were destroyed in process,but w/e****
    **** I would record a demo of the sound, but what's the point of usuing a crappy camera mic when I would want to show how nice it sounds, lol, but if any of you insist I can sometime****

*Kenwood Exceleon front and rear speakers
    *Factory tweeters-very front
    *Rockford Fosgate 360.3 interactive signal processor
    *Rockford Fosgate Prime R600X5 amplifier
    *Rockford Fosgate P2 12" Punch sub with matching Rockford Fosgate enclosure
    *Misc. cables, wiring ect
    ---
    Separate, but done at the same time all floor & doors covered in sound dampening material (don't remember maker)

---

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will include the receipt so you can see a ballpark figure on what it might cost you to do something similar (DIY will be cheaper of course). As you can see above it retains much of the factory look, except the sub of course. The wiring, and amp/ signal manager are under the driver and passenger seats. Otherwise it's a very clean and awesome sounding install.
    Ignore the USB/AUX plate I broke it trying to pull a charger out lol, have yet to put it back together
    --> Link to receipt to give overall cost ideas:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/kingkobra7/recipt4audio_zps89d421de.jpg

Jamali likes this.
  3. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm planning on getting a 3sixty3 too, because I too use the factory head unit

4. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very cool. I did the same type of setup, this is the first stock Head unit that I like!
    Looks great, shame we can't hear it.

5. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would go this route again over a cheap 4 channel line output converter.

By the way I remembered the name of the OEM supposed drop in replacement, it's Rosen, but if I remember right it was quite a bit more.

The speakers were a toss up between the Kenwoods and the Infinity Kappas

6. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use an audiocontrol eqs which has a pretty good line output converter, but the eq is limited in bands and it doesn't have the auto sum feature that the 3sixty 3 has.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I've not kept up with car audio as of recent.. what's the purpose of signal processor? and what does it use as input in your setup? take the line or speaker level input? thanks

8. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well a signal processor can do many things as its a mini computer or dsp for short. The 3 sixty3 for example can process the signal from the factory head unit or amp and it sums all channels to make one flat unprocessed signal so that the factory processing doesn't color the sound. For instance I believe the jbl system has different eq settings the higher up the volume goes, so it can boost and cut certain frequencies(not desirable) if say u like a lot of bass. Second a signal processor can do time delay, 31 band eq per channel, and also serves as a line out converter.

See right now I have a hardware 13 band eq and it also is a line out converter, however I am still subject to jbls processing.

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

You have the standard non-JBL headunit? with that or the JBL headunit, there are only speaker level outputs to tap into if you want to run anything external? Of in short, none of factory head units have a line level output?

10. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  11. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right I'm running speaker level inputs for my source, but I'm tapping into the factory amp outputs for the signal and I think they may be causing problems for me.