1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tanabe Strut Tower Bar and Underbrace for Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mac Prius, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mike500 likes this.
  2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting! Thank you very much for posting this valuable information.

This might not be what you want to hear, but this is my honest assessment,

They added an extra attachment to the "hourglass" brace. I wonder if it works with the newer OEM "tubular" brace.

It, again, appears to be made from the Tanabe "thin walled" aluminum tubing an welded to thin "bent" aluminum plates.

I prefer "extruded" thick wall aluminum tubing formed in one piece, annealed and age hardened to the T6 temper, not de tempered and weakened by welds.

The Tanabe must add at least another pound or more, while mine weighs an ounce less than the standard "hourglass" brace.

I was an early adopter of the TUB153F front under brace on my "v," until I examined it and found the same issues stated above, including the fact that the brace "hung down" and additional 7/8 inch and further deduced ground clearance. I actually had two users of the Tanabe contact me to replace their Tanabe braces with my model. They had lowered cars that scraped on bumps on the road. One actually broke the Tanabe bar. After replacement, they have reported NO issues.

Sure, I'm know, as I did, many will buy on the basis of the Tanabe "brand name" and that it is Made in Japan.

More photos.....

It's similar to the JDM brace.

2012 2013 Toyota Prius ZVW30 ZVW35 Door Under Floor Support Bar JDM VIP Japan | eBay

Attached Files:

WE0H likes this.
  3. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ok Rude person's. We get it. You can engineer and make what you consider a better product. After repeated posts by you on multiple forums touting your product and bashing Tanabe, it gets pretty tiresome. I originally respected your engineering skills but that has really begun to wane over time. So this may not be what "you" want to hear but hey, its "my" honest assessment. I will parapharse what Tywin Lannister stated on one of my favorite shows "Game of Thrones", "If you have to keep telling people you are the King, then you're really not".

Mike500 likes this.
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mac Prius,

I "liked" your comment. I respect you opinion. You are entitled, however, to ignore mine, if that is your desire. Unlike you, I am not offended or tired by your comments.

Some people just can't stand honest comments. I just wish these companies did not have the"It didn't come from here, attitude."

I have NOT applied for any patent protection for any of my designs. Anyone is free to use and copy them.

I adopted the original Tanabe HUB153F design and gratefully recognize their innovation. I just wish that I did not have to redesign the Tanabe TUB153F front under brace. I still have the original one I purchased more than a year, ago. I just wish they would redesign it to allow less "hang down" and better road clearance. Also, the extra 3/8 inch of "hand down" of the tubular spools below the crossbar can be eliminated to reduce decreased clearance. The many users of my brace has informed that there is less than plus 1.5 mm or variance between a faeror7y new Prius and a three year old one with over 100K miles. Yet, they have designed theirs with 4mm of "wiggle room."

Here is YOUR opportunity to provide Tanabe with the way and means to improve their products for the benefit of ALL.

This would be a problem, if Tanabe is looking for "YES men."

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The strut tower brace is one area that I believe is "beyond my capabilities." I read the many post by other PriusChat members on their installation experience with great interest. I don't have enough data on their effect on the structure and dynamic parameters of the front suspension to really provide an informed analysis.

To me, the issues of the complicated installation and the removal and installation, should the vehicle need to be serviced is my major concern. I don't know, if a dealer's service operation may refuse to service the car of assess charges over "Chilton time" to work on the vehicle.

6. GloryThief

GloryThief Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Been looking into the towerbar, did you feel any difference?

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced