1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW TECHNOLOGY TURNS TRASH INTO DIESEL FUEL

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Areometer, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Green Power, Inc. demonstrated its new technology of turning everyday landfill waste into diesel fuel through a process called Catalytic Depolymerization.

“We really can convert regular household waste, medical waste, anything that is not radioactive—metal, glass or porcelain—into diesel fuel,†said Michael Spitzauer, CEO of Green Power, Inc.

The demonstration took place in Fife, Washington, and was witnessed by approximately 200 onlookers, including various government officials, oil refinery executives, corporate representatives and media. Visitors from as far as India and Japan came to witness the demonstration.

>> Read More

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The big question is, can the mobile demo truck make all its own fuel?
    _H*

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I hope its true. But the whole presentation seems to have a traveling-salesman, snake-oil kind of vibe.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How much energy did they use to make it?

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is it Mr. Fusion yet?

6. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Remember, David Copperfield made a jet liner disappear and Mars will appear :) as large as the Moon this month. :)

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

A relative of mine consulted on the government project that blew up twice in NW Indiana to turn waste plastic into fuel feed stock. He did not get involved until it had blown up twice. He did an analysis to determine the strength at temperature that the chemical cracking tower needed to be. Apparently the materials needed for the required strength at the elevated temperature to turn the plastic was uneconomic. They did not continue with the project. This was like 20 years ago.

While chemically feasible to turn hydrocarbon waste into liquid petroleum, I wonder if the practicalities are all worked out on the project in the OP? Also, what is this malarky about turning inorganic stuff (especially that reacted into oxides) into diesel? That sounds a bit like alchemy pipe dreams.

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds rather similar to the process used by Changing World Technologies:
    http://www.changingworldtech.com/who/index.asp

This company has been profiled by Discover magazine, and is quite promising, although they've had problems getting to be as cost-competitive as they had anticipated. While they can about break even here in the states (primarily by processing waste from chicken <strike>factories</strike>, uh, farms) they're planning on opening a plant in Europe, due to better government incentives and higher petroleum prices. Another technology lost overseas due to our emphasis on using coal and oil for everything.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i like the idea... i read up on these before. i get how they work. Either way, if you needed electricity, you can do solar. We could have trains run to these ( electric ) since the station would never need to be moved. The only reason we don't do trains to our landfills is because we move them every so many years. there is only soo much land you can fill in. Plus.. it's weak land. and toxic is most cases. then again.. i'm sure almost all lived on land is somewhat toxic by now.