1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tiny car audio amplifiers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Jul 26, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently visited my friend's car audio shop (where I used to work) and saw some of the new offerings from JL Audio and ARC Audio. They have new amplifiers out that are absolutely tiny for the power they put out. I currently have 2 very large amplifiers (21" long) in my hatch storage area but these new amps are making me want to swap them out so that I can regain the use of my spare tire well!

So for those of you looking for big clean power but would like to hide the amps under seats or in small crevasses then these guys are tough to beat. :)

For giggles I decided to test out the Arc Audio XXD1500 Amp for my subwoofer. It puts out 500w@1ohm and retails for $220. It replaced a 1500w@1ohm Diamond Audio amplifier that was over 2.5 times its size! Because I am running a single Orion XTRPro 12" sub I do not need all the extra power so I may just keep this Arc amp. It puts out great power and runs cool. It is much more efficient to run than the Diamond amp. Size = 9 1/4" (L) x 7 1/8" (W) x 1 7/8" (H)

For a bit more money you can get the JL Audio XD600/1. It puts out more power and is equally tiny! 600w@2ohm and 8.52 in. x 7.09 in. x 2.05 in in size.

If you're not a basshead then you may look into the XD600/6 6ch amp to power your whole system. At only 10.23 in. x 7.09 in. x 2.05 in. it it tiny for a 6ch amp and puts out great power: 60wx6 or 60x4,200x1