1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new tires for 2010 package 5 ? 17 rims

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ianp, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ianp

ianp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 package 5 with the Advanced Technology option.
    I love all the gadgets and use them all the time. I have about 2000 miles on it and enjoy it - with the exception of the much rougher ride than my 05, and 06 Prius. Any ideas to get more rubber on the beautiful 17" rims? I dont like the lower profile tires at all and would like to get more rubber between me and the road. Will taller tires work or will they screw up the speedo and other electronics?

2. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was wondering the same thing. I want the V for its advanced technology, but would prefer it with the better ride and fuel economy of the other pack's. I would buy a different car if I wanted sportier handing.
    Can I simply put the 15" wheels and their tires on a V?

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Presumably you are looking for more air between you and the road, but doing so will increase the circumference of the tires and alter the speedometer readout. The stock 15s with the 195 tires will have about the same circumference (and revolutions per mile) as the 17s with the 215 tires.

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure you will fing numerous takers if you want to trade your 17" set up for someone's 15"wheel/tire combo.

5. DCRC

DCRC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sure can, be glad to trade if you want to get rid of them awful 17" .

Toyota really needs to offer a 16" wheel combo.

6. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If I can trade with no adverse effects (other than poorer handling), I would. I am also concerned with comments about stiffer suspension and anti-roll bars, etc. I want a smoother ride, not a sports sedan.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe the rougher ride is caused by the low rolling resistance tires, so perhaps seek out different and the smoothest riding tires you can find for the 17" instead of going back to the 15"?

Otherwise, I guarantee you'll find at least 100 members here who are willing to swap out their 15". Upgrading to the 17" factory wheels is nearly $4,000 alone according to one forum member!

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Given the wheel well clearance, I'd think you'd be able to get tires with a bit taller sidewalls, but have you tried (he leads with his chin...:D) lowering the tire pressure a bit? What are you running at? The b-pillar sticker says 33/32, which I ran for a while, then increased to 38/37, and I don't find the ride rough at all--of course, I've been driving cars with 18" wheels and low profile tires for a long time so I guess I'm used to it.

9. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I plan to upgrade my tires and wheels and I am still trying to decide whether to to with 16 inch or 17 inch. Your posting gives me pause regarding going with the 17 option.

10. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

From what I have been able to learn, you just can't swap out your 17" tires and wheels. The V has a stiffer suspension and tighter steering. Lots more road feel. The low-profile tires are rated "V" (very high speed). Automakers frequently need to do this with low profile sidewalls to add stiffness for turns. V's are inherently stiff and don't wear as well as lower-rated tires.

Changing the profile of your tires (buying 60's instead of 45's) will soften your ride, but may unbalance your suspension. Also, there may be clearance issues the the fatter tire. More importantly, the ride will never be the same as a II, III, or IV; the suspension is different.

Let me suggest that instead of concern about the rougher ride, you try enjoying the improved handling and more responsive steering. Whether you knew it at the time or not, when you got that V, you got a "sports" version of the Prius. I love mine!

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As a point of clarification, the Prius V does have a different steering set up (more direct steering ratio, and shorter lock to lock) than the Prius II - IV, but as far as I know, there is no difference in the suspension. This was confirmed by Doug Coleman some time ago, in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/60065-wheels-steering-shocks-oh-my.html

12. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Steam is correct. There is no difference in suspension on the V. If you prefer the ride of the II-IV, you can simply put the 15" tires on there because that is the only thing responsible for the difference. The height of the sidewall and the contact patch are what make the difference.

You will be "stuck" with the tighter steering, but in my opinion it is much better. The only difference here is how far you have to turn the steering wheel to make the tires turn - you turn the steering wheel less on the V to make the tires turn the same amount.

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm guessing you were replying to the OP, because there is no way I'm trading the 17s!

I'm willing to look at other tires, but not smaller wheels. The reason I'd look for different tires is simply to deal with the road noise. Once you hit about 60 or 65, then the tire noise becomes quite noticeable on certain road surfaces.

Otherwise, the handling is far superior to my 2007, and I feel like the 2010 is tied down to the road even at high speed and in windy conditions. That's a significant change from the Gen2 (non-touring, at least).

14. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm one of those 100!