1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tires- How Long For "Break In"- Lost MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Walker1, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,
    Last week I replaced the stock tires on our 2006 with the same tires. I understand that the mileage will dip until the tires break in. Can someone tell me about how many miles that might be on average?

The mileage went from 54.5 MPG to approximately 51 MPG. As we're not talking about the engine breaking in and this is my first time replacing tires I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.:confused:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you using elevated pressures in the OEM tires for better fuel economy? A much bigger effect occurs if the tire installer put less pressure in the new ones than was in the old ones. Check that and don't worry about "break-in". (Tire pressure should be checked at least monthly, and checked when the tires are "cold", which for tires means "not driven more than a mile in the preceding hour".)

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It usually takes a few thousand miles to break in new tires. I've seen up to 5000 mi. posted for break in.

Note that -some- tires don't need the break in period. My Nokian WR tires didn't lower MPG when they were new. I don't know yet if they will eventually give -better- mileage than the Goodyears once they are broken in.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used 42 PSI/fronts & 40/rears. I replaced the stock Goodyear tires with the same and have lost 2-4 MPG. The tires only have about 400 miles on them and I'm considering raising the PSI to 45/fronts & 43/rears. How many miles does it take the stock tires to break in and give back the 2-4 MPG whack? Thanks.:)