1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New tires with GUTS? any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Dec 16, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need a tire that will standup to several miles of dirt/rock/gravel (bit of mud) each day.

If it is LRR, fine...but....I don't want to spend a lot on an LRR and find out that the tire is a wimp.

For comparison, before the Prius, with my Corolla, I was lucky to get about 30K out of high-quality Toyo or Goodyear 80K all season tires.

Off-pavement really just chews up the rubber.

So, while I would prefer an LRR, anyone have a thought about which one might be best able to withstand the dirt roads.

Does not make sense to save a few MPG, but have to replace the tire that much sooner...

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The sort of tyres you need would kill your mpg, and be very niosey. I would suggest going with a LRR budget tyre to offset the cost of more frequent changes. Most of the Hankook range of tyres are LRR and at prices "within the UK at least" about 40% cheaper than your Goodyears. They also ware well.
    Kumho KR22's also fall into this category and are listed as a long life tyre.

John (Britprius)

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions, John.

Once I wore out the original from the factory tires at 20K, I went to Cooper GFE, which I don't like at all. I get about 43 overall mpg, no matter what I do...

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Cooper GFE are available in the UK and are not LRR tyres.
    Let me know what Hankooks are available in the US and I can give you the details, LRR, Wet grip, and noise level.

John (Britprius)

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would recommend the Michelin Defenders. They aren't cheap, but do have guts and last a long time too.

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out the Nokian WR g3. It is a all weather tire and gives the car a comfortable ride and they are LRR. Not cheap, but a great tire for all surfaces and weather conditions. H

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bridgestone ecopia 422's
    lrr, very quiet, reasonably priced, all season tread, available...

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about these tires did you not like?
    How many miles do you expect these tires to log before the tread wears out?
    What mpg do you think your car should log?

I agree with this recommendation in general although I do not know how the tread life will be affected by daily gravel road driving.

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I was going to suggest this. The reports of the new LRR Nokian Hakka R2 are showing minimal mpg loss considering the traction it offers. The WR is better for year round use.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Cooper GFE lose air -- every couple of months. Even the Goodyear OEM did not do that. Also, the ride is harsh.

Treadwear is good, though and they are LRR.

I think 43 mpg is about the max for me with the hills (would be called mountains in other areas of the US) and gravel I drive.

Have friends with Prius mobiles and they approach more like 48 mpg....but would not want to trade living locales with them.

If I remember, getting the Nokian tires around here is a major hassle, but I may call around. Sears is selling their Goodyear Weatherhandler Fuel max for four tires for $317, which isn't a bad deal.

I still have to look into John's suggestion, though, as well as look closer at the Bridgestone, which I can get for $440, but for some reason, I don't remember, I crossed them off my list (may have been the Consumer Reports test?)?

Thanks for the thoughts -- keep them coming....hope to decide by late tonight...

11. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The g/y weatherhander would be a good tire at that price. I have a set of Cooper winters and they stay in my basement. Don't think I will ever put them back on. H

12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Ah, so with roller skate wheels, outdoors, a hard wheel catches every crack or pebble and stops, a soft wheel rolls over them but absorbs energy(skate wheels come in hardness's from 78a to 102a), with bicycles a wheel with to much air pressure does the same thing, so ignoring the 40-38 regular pressure setting, might be a bit softer on gravel roads will be a good compromise.

13. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have to drive 3 miles of gravel to reach my home, so I know your problem. The original Yokohama Avid S33's were terrible, no traction, noisy and rode rough, were worn out at 25,000 miles.

I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Fuel max tires. They ride much better and run with much less road noise. Traction is much better than the Yokohama's. I have 24,000 on the Goodyears and measure only 1/32 wear on the front and 2/32 on the rear ???. No indication of tred chewing from gravel like I had with the Yokohama's At this rate I expect them to last atleast 50-75,ooo miles.
    They are a LRR tire, but gave up a couple mpg from the Yokohamas, but the avantages make that a small price to pay. I average 50-53 mpg in summer and 45-48 in cold ND winters.

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've learned the hard way that when it comes to gravel roads in Oregon flat tires is a function of how fast you drive. If you take it REALLY slow, I agree with the above poster who says tire wear won't be so bad.

Also if you're a costco member you can get $70 off a set of four Ecopias, which is a hair less in MPG than #1 Michelin, but a whole wallet less in terms of price. And thanks be to you that you're in Oregon and no sales tax so you'll be quoted for 4 ecopias with free flat repair and free rotation for the life of the tires in the $350 range... That particular sale was just extended thru Dec28th.

In other news did you know that most car accidents could be prevented if the drivers involved simply always drove at a slower rate of speed all of the time? Even better, non-prius drivers are slowly being conditioned to accept the reality of too many really slow driving Prius drivers. :)

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Loss of air can be due to corrosion on the alloy rims. Have the tires taken off and the rims cleaned and coated with sealant.
    Nokians are available on the web but you will have to find an installer that will do "alien" tires
    Good luck,

JeffD

16. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went ahead with the Goodyear FuelMax. Could not beat the price. May not be the best, but the price is WAY good. Will pick-up/have installed on Thursday.

Jon Hagen likes this.
  17. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are a excellent tire. :) They can be pumped too 51lbs. cold. A bit hard for your conditions, 38 ft. and 36 aft may work for you? H

18. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I started a thread that got moved into the fuel economy forum here on my first 70 miles or so with the FuelMax. So far, so good.

Thanks again for all the tips.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Setup a fuelly in your signature so everyone can see it. I did the same on the new Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Good luck with the new tires. I had considered the GY Fuel Max also when I was looking.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How quiet are the Fuelies?