1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Forum - had this Gen-3 Prius 4 years

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JnPJ, Feb 15, 2019.

1. JnPJ

JnPJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings!
    New to the forum, did a 'search' for what's happening with our Gen-3 (2010) Prius to no avail :(
    Yesterday we had the infamous "rough start" only the worst episode ever ... REALLY rough and longer than previous episodes, followed by extremely high idle speed for a moment or two. Afterwards, it seemed 'business as usual' and down the road we went. (Background: I'm NOT a hyper-miler, I am a HIGH-Mileage, self-employed, sub-contractor - gas is my biggest expense, therefore the Prius.)
    About an hour (and 20-something miles) into my day I noticed the ICE was running more-or-less constantly. This continued in spite of shutting it down several times. It's 'possible' that the "Power" button had been accidentally activated - didn't notice particularly. Later in the day, it finally occurred to me to press the "ECO" button, which seemed to resolve the issue (the ICE immediately stopped running and went back to 'normal' operations).
    Got back on the road again today and an hour into my day the same symptoms (ICE running constantly in spite of battery status, even while sitting at red lights, stop signs, etc.)
    Can't seem to find anything on the forum (except the HV battery cooling fan - which appears clean and functioning) to explain this erratic behavior. I 'know' this car, I've put 120,000 miles on it since spring 2014 and it has never performed this erratically and with such poor gas mileage (dropped from low-40's to mid-30's mpg).
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Peace,
    J n Pj

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how old is your 12v?

tankyuong and EnnoCar like this.
  3. JnPJ

JnPJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nearly new ... less than 8 months, dealer-installed.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some additional questions:
    How many miles on your Prius?

Ever cleaned the egr circuit?

Does the hv battery cycle fast from full to empty?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Bay Stater and tankyuong like this.
  5. JnPJ

JnPJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your interest!

Mileage: 187,700 this fine Florida morning

The fact that I had to Google "egr circuit" makes THAT answer self-evident ;) :notworthy: ... but for those slow on the uptake (see what I did there?), we have done NO maintenance on the EGR Valve or Cooler - didn't know they existed :unsure:, nor that they could be a cause of our problem :( :sick:

The only 'base line' we have for HV battery cycle is the pre-event performance, which is to say there have been no indicators of HV battery problems. Post-event, the HV battery symbol/icon on dash remains at approximately 3/4 as the ICE continuously runs. When "EV" is engaged (which we had never done pre-event), it seems weakish, e.g. a couple hundred yards of level-ground, snails-pace travel and it 'kicks over' to ECO.

Thanks again for the kind (and prompt!) inquiries. (FWIW, I 'used to be' a shade-tree mechanic, but "Time is Freedom" and we have a trustworthy mechanic that we're taking it to this AM.)

Will keep y'all posted (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rough start and the number of miles sure sound like a clogged egr circuit. PWR/ECO settings should not have any effect on this.

Low 40's is pretty bad mileage for a Gen 3 unless you're in very demanding driving situations. So down in the 30s would for sure be cause for concern. If you make lots of short trips, that can affect the egr circuit and will definitely cause low gas mileage.

However, if it was mine, I'd be getting into the egr circuit right away.

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. JnPJ

JnPJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Y'all!

Again, thanks for the prompt and courteous replies!!

Took 'er to the trusted (non-hybrid) mechanic. He referred us to Toyota as he can't get any fault/trouble codes and doesn't want to "throw new parts at it until something sticks!" (THAT'S why we trust him!). I told him what was said about the EGR, he said it tests "no error".

Further discovery: first out of the gate in the AM (before she's warmed up) operates flawlessly as before. After the warm-up, (about 10-11 miles) it starts reverting (ICE running constantly regardless of all other parameters).

I don't have time to monkey with EGR or anything else ... guess I'm stuck with Ployota :cry: Unfortunately, we've had less than stellar experience with the two dealers closest to us (outright LYING by one, shady principles by the other :mad:).

Wish my :cool: grandson was closer - he's a natural-born wrench-monkey and would be delighted to get to the bottom of this!

Peace, y'all (y)

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Sunshine State is a huge place. Are you close to Tampa? If so, talk to Todd at Tampa Hybrids. I doubt if anyone knows more about the Prius.

Bay Stater likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What do you think, it's all ok?

You better make time, because the dealerships are more in denial than you are, lol. Some info, and I've gotten cagey, made a boiler plate of this:

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) circuit cools and returns exhaust gas to the combustion chamber, and is instrumental in keeping combustion chamber temperatures down. It slowly carbon-clogs over time, which is bad.

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) circuit vents the crankcase, allowing air (and oil/gas/water mist) back into the intake manifold, just below the throttle body. Over time the mist condenses/collects in the intake manifold and/or gets sucked into the combustion chamber. The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is down near the bottom of the intake manifold, tends to be swimming in gunk after a while.

An Oil Catch Can (OCC) is spliced into the line between PCV and intake manifold, runs the pass-through gasses through some sort of labyrinth, with the object of condensiing and retaining as much of the airborne droplets as possible. It requires periodic dumping.

Threads:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

@NutzAboutBolts videos:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Tools: Beside the usual assortment of ratchets, sockets, extensions, pliers (straight and bent tip), in particular for the EGR:

Torx socket set, E8 for sure (for the EGR studs), and E6 if you want to remove the throttle body studs from the intake manifold

1/4" drive inch/pound torque wrench (in addition to more common 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches)

Ratchetting 12 mm box wrench (for rear bolts on EGR cooler, not mandatory, but helpful)

Repair Manual files: