1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Forum/Need Tires/Recommendations??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Steven Roberts, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Steven Roberts

Steven Roberts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just found this forum. Got a 2008 Prius. 67k miles. Bought it 24 months ago with 22K miles on it ($14k). Bought Goodyear Assurance "fuel saver" tires immediately. Average 49 MPG on freeway (if I drive around 65 MPH) and 44 MPG around town (live in La Costa with big hills and drive to San Diego every day). I "overclock/inflate" the tires to 46 PSI. With the recent rain the past few days I notice I really need new tires. So, what is the best one out there to help my MPG?? Read some posts about Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Is that the best, in terms of MPG?? All I care about is MPG. Thanks for anticipated help and comments. Oh yeah, I rotate and balance every 5k miles so I like the idea of buying from Big O or Discount Tires or Express Tires who do it for free. Still got 2 years of free alignments left on my alignment plan purchase at Big O. Cheers, 76bearsfly

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Energy Saver A/S is the best for MPG in North America. In Europe the Ecopia EP 001s may be the best but it is only available in GenIII size of 195/65/15. Refer to the above link for more info.

4. Steven Roberts

Steven Roberts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you-- bought the Michelin Energy Saver A/S at Costco. Immediate improvement in MPG, ride characteristics and road noise. Thanks again for the information.

F8L likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The new tyre should be ok as a replacement for the US gen2 Prius as it's increase in diameter over the 185 section tyre is only 2% and this should make the MFD fuel consumption readout more accurate. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

John (Britprius)