1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Gen 1 and now have a Gen 2 with dead main battery?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SteveWlf, Nov 7, 2012.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got a gen 2 at the auction for a reasonable price with an inspection sticker "Runs & Drives", but as usual, at the time of inspection, the Aux. battery will be dead.. So I takes my chances.

Brought it home and put the 12v charger in the underhood terminals, as recommended and limited charge to >4 amps for a couple hours. Voltage recovered in the Aux Batt to 12.4v and systems seem to be powering up ok, but not engine start and the MFD energy display showed the main battery at or near zero charge. Ouch, I didn't need to see that or at least I wished I had seen that much earlier.

The intial display only showed a little engine simble and brief "mainT req-- something" then it goes out. Otherwise I was able to find the ODO etc. and display indicators. No triangle of death at first. I hooked up my OBD II reader and everything is blank as far as the system signals since nothing has run since the batteries were dead and when I force a read, I get the ERR!

Turned everything off and had a cup of coffee. Went back and the Aux battery had charged for another hour. While the power was on, I started playing with the shift control, etc.. and sometimes there was a sound from the engine compartment, like the engine was starting but then went off. After a couple attempts I got it to do that again but also died, Now I notice the Red Triangle of Death. For the moment, I can't get the engine to try and start.

Is there anyway to trick the engine to start with the little juice that might still be in the main battery. (It is my understanding that the engine on the Gen2 starts from the main, or am I wrong there??)

I still have my Gen2 but don't know if there is a way to switch out batteries between these two generations.??

I presently don't have the knowledge or equipment go thru this battery.

Oh! Yah! For what it's worth, I talked to the CoPart people about this and of course, AS-IS, Where-Is regardless of the Runs & Drives sticker. (waste of ink). I wasn't born yesterday and I know something like this could happen under these terms and conditions. Not like I lost the Farm on this deal. A Prius will almost always Part Out for more than I paid for this one. (less the $800-900 for the battery)

Still a learning experience. (75 and still learning)

Steve

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The sound you hear from the engine compartment is most likely MG1 trying to spin the engine up and the engine is not turning over.

How was this car brought to the salvage yard? Accident? Flooding? Dealer trade? Airbags still there? Is the fuel pump running?

4. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, after giving this some thought!
    What I'm really looking for is a procedure to get the ICE to start, with what little juice is left in the main battery.
    Or, since I'm a newbie to the HEV and just about figured out my Gen1, maybe I'm not doing something right.

I don't even have a glove compartment owner manual and I'm follow the little Prius Valet Instruction Procedures card I found. So far I haven't gotten the "READY" light yet. I can make the P(ark) work.

Sometimes I'm able to get the shift indicator to follow the shift lever into N but never into D,R or B and I assume that is because the engine or battery isn't "READY".

BTW, the MFD was working and shut off the last time I was playing with thing and I couldn't get it to come back on again. Might be the Aux battery was getting low cause I had disconnected the charger.

More puzzles and things to learn.

Steve

5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was rear ended and no bags deployed. Could have been driven but has set for a while. From what I understand from my complaints to CoPart, these my set in insurance impound for a year and then another 2 month while they clean them up, photo and 'test'? inspect operating condition. So my complaint with them is, if it "Runs/Drives" then I would expect the battery to still be up or car in running condition when jumped 2 months later. If they just jump the battery to get the instruments up to get the mileage then I don't thing that qualifies for their statement.

I've been crawling around to see if any ECU or major component has since been removed/robbed (seen that happen in ordinary salvage yards).

Steve

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something just occurs to me as I read that PDF file on the special charger. They mention that the Gen2 system will lock out Start after so many attempts, like for out of gas. As is usual in the impound and salvage yard, they routinely suck the gas out of the cars (damm). (When I look at their photos of the mileage display, I frequently notice 3/4 or sometime s anear full tank, but at the time of the auction the ODO hasn't changed but the tank is alway near empty!)
    That said, this car is still sitting on the tow dolly with rear down and the gage is flashing. Could be out of gas at that angle and the start attempt has been locked out as in "out of gas". I'll check that tomorrow and that will be "My Bad". and glad to except the blame!

Steve

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have the brake pedal pushed all the way to the floor when pressing the start button?

If the gas tank is empty you'll need to add 3 gallons so the sensor can detect gas was added.

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since the car was obviously working before the crash, the problems are due to either crash damage or the long storage.

The first thing to sort out is the 12 volt battery. It runs all of the computers that get the car to Ready. When it is low (maybe 10 volts or less), the computers may run, but improperly. Charging may bring it up enough to get things running, but it's probably toast after being idle for over a year.

The 12 volt battery starts the computers, but not the engine. The computers decide when to start the engine, and the traction battery provides the power to spin the engine. I think there's something about running out of gas that will prevent even attempting to start (the computer knows that it's useless to spin the engine with no gas). So make sure there is enough gas before concluding that the traction battery is the problem.

If the traction battery has discharged so far that the engine can't start, then it will have to be recharged. Dealers have access to a charger that can handle it, or you could disassemble the battery and recharge the individual modules. DIY recharging is discussed in the threads about rebuilding the battery pack.

I really recommend that you get a diagnostic readout with the Techstream scantool. Dealers have it, as well as most mechanics who work on modern Toyota vehicles. Techstream can read the traction battery module voltages. It can also read all of the error codes (DTCs) that can be stored. Basic scantools do not have the ability to read out all of the Toyota specific codes.

The red triangle indicates that there is any one of hundreds of error conditions. It could be a loose gas cap, a door open while in gear, or major problems in the engine or transmission. Techstream is necessary to sort it out.

9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Jim and Rob, I agree that I should follow the simpliest path and go across the street and get a can of gas and see what happens.
    However (always the "However"!) Have to pry the gas door open since it won't unlatch due to the body damage in that area. Since it's already damaged, a screw drive should do the trick! Gas tank and fill connections seem to be ok from what I can see.

Thanks for all the wisdom you all bring to this forum. I'm hoping, over time and exposture to these cars I can contribute as well.
    Steve

10. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I went out this morning and the Aux batt was dead again only about 2.5 volts. The my smart? charger says error code F1 which indicates an internal short. Since I was charging throught the power terminal in the engine compartment, I disconnected the battery and found the positive terminal corroded bad. (same problem I had found on my Gen1 when I got it last month). Cleaned the terminals and began charging again with out connecting the vehicule leads. Charging appears to be going fine now.

Now before I go any further I should ask/confirm what type of battery is this OEM aux battery. My choices on the charger are Wet, Gel or AGM?? The battery doesn't state, just the usual warnings. I'm sure it is OEM batt with all the markings in Japanese, etc.. None of the mounting hardware had ever been disturbed either.

Steve

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It SHOULD be a externally vented AGM battery. That is safest, given Toyota's placement.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not clear what kind of battery is standard. Everybody says it's AGM, but it has liquid in it like an ordinary wet cell battery. It's certainly not an ordinary wet cell unit with the capacity to operate a starter.

Due to the low amp design, I'd say treat it like an AGM. But it smells like a really expensive low capacity wet cell unit. If you replace it, a genuine AGM unit like the Optima yellow-top is a better choice than OEM.

13. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I charged the OEM battery on the AGM setting of my charger for the better part of the afternoon but since it is over 5 years old, I went and picked up a Optima Yellow Top from my battery supplier. Paid $159.96 (no tax since I have a business acct with them). When I got back to the shop, the old battery was at 13.7 volts and still charging. I left the charger on and reinstalled the HV disconnect and gave it a try. The displays came up fine and the Red Triange was gone and the the Maint. Required simble went out. Little Engine symble still on along with ABS and a couple others.
    But never heard the engine try and start. The noise I had mentioned earlier turns out to be the vacuum pump from my pressing the brake pedal. Right now I don't think the HV engine not starting has anything to do with the Aux battery.
    Otherwise, everything seems to be normal. Just no engine start and that must be due to low HV battery. I will try and take a reading in the morning. I am leaving the charger off the Aux. battery overnite to see if there is any voltage in the morning.

I should ask if there is any place to measure the HV without removing the covers on the battery box?? Can it be measued at the disconnect and if so where would I pick up the ground without taking the cover off??

Steve

14. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OEM battery went dead over nite so I change out to the new Yellow top. Repowered the system again and basically got the same results as before. Nothing happening with the ICE. Just the vac pump and something else, like the fuel pump brief purr. The Dreaded Red Triangle is back again and didn't go out this time. And no OBD code and I don't really think I will get any of these until the ICE runs. My OBDII reader is Prius Aware and I have used it on my Gen1 and got the code normally associated with the HEVs.
    I then pulled the covers on the right end of the HV battery, after pulling the safety pull. Checked the voltage at the two terminals with the white plastic safety covers, next to the current sensor area, where the two main power leads come out. I took those covers off but later determined I could insert the meter probes through a slot in the cover edge and make a safe contact with the terminal. However! I could have put my wet finger on them, I suspect, since there was only about .5 VDC between the Plus and Neg. terminal. I wasn't surprised, but had some hope there might be something more useable.

Went to check out a "Fresh Road Kill Prius" (wreck, less than 10 days old). However when I tested it, I couldn't get a reading at all. It was late so I left thinking it was another bad battery. On the way home I got to thinking, "there is something wrong here." Sure enough, I had a bad lead on my meter. I fixed it and verified contenuity and retested my own battery. Nah! still dead as a tomb stone. However, I think I will go back next week and recheck that wreck since the price was going to be worth the trip.. The seller was sure it should be good since his brother had been driving it when it was wrecked last week and they pulled the power safety plug as soon as the tow truck bought it in. For his sake and mine, of course I hope it is good.

Still wonder if I am testing these batteries at the correct location. Is there a relay or circuit breaker in there between my test point and the actual battery pack??