1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New-to-me '02 Navi Package - some questions

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tryyn, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently bought an '02 with the navi package to replace my previous '02 that had "safety-hazard levels" of frame rust. No rust issues on this one, 87K miles with a recently replaced (Toyota!) HVB and I got the 13.1 update DVD installed for the nav - being an early-noughties kid I love the "Windows 98 aesthetic!"

I'm having some issues, though.

1. My grandpa and I drove to my house in Madison, and on the way there we stopped for a few minutes (hybrid system was shut down.) Upon restarting the hybrid system, the engine seemed to spool up normally, but AS SOON AS it caught there was a VIOLENT shaking, as if the engine were running on 3 cylinders. Sounded like a jackhammer. This continued for ~ 5 seconds and never recurred, even during several idle-stops and EV/hybrid transitions. The CEL came on after another reboot (but no shuddering.) The ICE seemed have plenty of power and was smooth afterwards.
    I have Techstream, can read the codes next week when I visit for spring break. Might this be a dirty throttle body or airflow sensor?

2. mouse-infestation smell in HVAC system - how to get rid of it? My grandparents are taking care of this vehicle currently, my grandpa says he found a dead mouse while removing the cabin filter. Any way to more deeply clean the HVAC system that could be done DIY?

3 re:HVAC - tried the A/C on recirc after putting a few drops of essential oil on the cabin filter to try to get rid of the mousy smell. Zero cooling with the ICE running (even at speed) and the ICE didn't start to attempt to replenish the cold reserve in the evaporator core when idle.
    If left on, in Park, the engine NEVER ran except to charge the HV pack, even set to 63 with A/C and MAX ON. Does the low-pressure switch prohibit the normal "on and off" cycling of the engine, since it knows it can't run the compressor?

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    1. Kinda useless to guess before you get the codes. But...the violent shaking sounds like the steering wheel issue, but you would have probably mentioned the wheel shaking. It also sounds like a car of mine that had a rusted fuel filler neck (from cap to the tank). That happens to cars where it snows a lot. You can see it inside the passenger rear wheel well. Reach up and feel around the back side of the filler neck and especially up over the top right at the body/cap. Snow gets crammed up in that small place and rusts through eventually. Causes a vacuum leak in the tank and can also get water in the fuel.

2. Re: 3...if your AC isn't turning on, which it sounds like, not sure how you could do much about the smell unless you want to take the inside unit out. If you don't know, you don't want to do that if you can avoid it. You'll splinter the dash bezel. Instead, fix the AC and just pump fresh air through. I also pull the entire interiors out of each car I buy, down to the floor metal. Clean everything up.

3. Seems pretty clear that your compressor isn't kicking in. Most likely cause is it's low on freon. Techstream will give you the codes. If you want to know immediately, you can jumper two pins in the OBDII port and the AC controls will blink out the code numbers. I'm sure the instructions can be found searching the archive. Compressor is easy to get to if you remove the plastic cover, which is a little bit of a pain. You can hand spin the clutch, or put 12v on the connector to hear the clutch kicking in. Look for cloudiness in the meter. All the typical stuff. Could be as simple as replacing clutch shims - a few dollars and a few minutes.

3. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pulled codes - cylinder 1 and 3 random misfire.

Got two bottles of Techron fuel-injector cleaner after pulling and clearing the codes. After putting the cleaner in and driving for a while, I haven't noticed it missing anymore on warm start.

The mousy smell was dealt with by spraying some Ozium deodorizer down the air intakes of the HVAC system. If it ends up coming back, I'll try a fogger (OdoBan, OdorBomb, etc.) and release it with the HVAC system running.
    The HVAC blower sounds like a 4-cylinder engine running (varies based on blower speed) so there must be something stuck in it which I can't get to. I attempted to remove the cabin air filter and vacuum it out, but no luck.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've used an ozone machine to get rid of smells and it worked great. I had agreed to carry several boxes of dates from LA to Houston not knowing what those smelled like. Don't ever do that. After two weeks of the odor not dissipating, I borrowed the neighbor's ozone machine and it was gone a few hours later. I've used their machine in my house too. works great.

Looks like they range in price considerably. Theirs looks about like the $80 models, buy it does a big room. Looks like there's a small, $30 model that could work for a car interior.

ozone machine - Google Search

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even as early as gen 1, we had the famous Prius drivetrain that turns any misfiring for any reason into violent jackhammering, because of the way the engine and transaxle interact. This article is a classic on the topic, being about a gen 1 that the owner let go for scrap price thinking the violent jackhammering could only be something really bad. With that car, it turned out to be one bad spark plug. In yours it'll just be something among the many things that can cause misfiring.

If this were the gen 3 forum somebody would probably have posted by now that it has to be your head gasket and because of the gen 3 EGR, but as you've seen, even an earlier gen without EGR, and without any reputation for head gasket issues, can still develop misfires for various reasons and still go all jackhammery.

When it happened to my gen 1 I never ended up finding the cause. It only happened every so often and I got 60+ thousand more miles on the car before a Dodge Dakota drove into it.

Yup, that makes sense. The cause will turn out to be any of the things that can cause random misfires. It's just, that's a lot of things.

I've also used chlorine dioxide, as described here, with very good effect. No machine required, just a little packet that gives off the gas.

Find a way to hang it from some string or something in midair in the cabin, not right next to some upholstery where the color could get bleached.

Unless I misremember, the gen 1 HVAC controller doesn't talk on the diagnostic bus, so its codes don't show up in Techstream. You can only ask directly from the HVAC controls and count the blinks. Details on this page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

when you scroll down to "Codes from the heat/air conditioning system" and follow the procedure for gen 1. Code 23 would be a refrigerant pressure issue. Code 22 would be slipping of the magnetic clutch (which only gen 1 had). It only costs about a buck to adjust that clutch and if it hasn't been done by now in a gen 1, it's likely ready for it.

#5 ChapmanF, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    ronlewis likes this.
  6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Of course, you can always try some simple things, like swapping around the plugs, coils, and injectors to confirm whether the misfire codes follow any of those. Just make sure you clean/blow around those holes so nothing falls in the head when you pull them out.

7. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I removed the cabin air filter and blower cover, and I found a dried-up dead mouse, some droppings, and a bunch of nesting material in the blower shroud. The fan still sounds like an engine on HI or 75%, but it isn't as loud. No smell at all anymore!
    I'm getting the air conditioner recharged tomorrow, I'll report back when that has been done.
    Injector cleaner seems to have addressed the missing.