1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me, 2017 v with low miles

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by pickled_ogo, Feb 17, 2024.

1. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 2017 Prius v with 16k miles. I took the car to a mechanic who specialized in hybrid cars before purchasing it, and he recommended doing a battery reconditioning which would take 1 week and be about $1200. I watched a video on it; and it seems like a good procedure. He's explanation was that my battery is still good; doesn't need to be replaced, but reconditioning would make it function a lot better.

Oil change is on the menu as the oil looked dirty to me. I read through some of the "what should I do first?" threads; but wanted some insight as this situation is a bit unique with the very low miles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Excited to be a part of the community and learn about this car. I've had some great experiences with niche car communities over the years including Turbo Buick, Turbo Dodge and more recently Subarus.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    An unnecessary $1200 expense.

3. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It seems like sentiment is split on reconditioning. I figure since the car was likely sitting for long periods of time this service could be worth it no?

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $1200 is very expensive for hybrid battery reconditioning. If you want to check the condition of the battery, purchase an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and use Dr. Prius app. See the Dr. Pruis app website for more information.

djasonw and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I should mention that I unfortunately/fortunately live in Hawaii so everything is very expensive haha.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Change the oil every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. If it is new to you and dirty oil, change it now. Probably could use a coolant system flush as well using oem coolant.

Reconditioning the battery at this point is a waste of money.

#6 rjparker, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    djasonw likes this.
  7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Great find. The battery should be under warranty no need to spend $1200, depends on date car was first sold. If it functions don’t fix it.
    I would take it to a Toyota dealer for an oil change if not doing myself. They should be able to print out the service records. Check air filter myself and change if needed with Toyota part.
    I get the new to me desire to do everything too and usually most is a waste of money. I still have parts from cars long gone bought during the new to me honeymoon. Filters pcv valves spark plugs all kinds of things I’ll never use. I even have brake pads for my 2007, a new water pump, and the rear hatch lock that the rubber disintegrates. Car long gone now.

8. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. That new to me sentiment is real! In Hawaii, we have an 8 year battery warranty which would only be less than a year from now if we’re going from original purchase date. My thinking on that, after watching a video explaining the reconditioning, is that the better shape the battery is in, the better candidate it is for reconditioning. Especially with such low miles and being 7 years old. I believe that mechanic who ran the battery test said it’s at about 75% capacity.

I’ll do more research before committing to the reconditioning, I had scheduled it for asap because once I start using the vehicle, I’ll be less likely to want to leave it at the shop for a week haha.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    2 cent comment - Perhaps a price vs life comparison.
    Not knowing Hawaii prices... I'd ask if a new traction battery installed is $2500 vs. reconditioning at $1200?

There are others on this site with 300K mileage Prius' and never had a TB change.
    I'd could write a TB has a 10-year life, but that may be conservative.

My 2017 V has no hybrid battery issues, with 40K mileage, evident by my seat of the pants drivability, recharge, fuel use etc.
    The 12-volt battery was change in year 2022.

FWIW I could imagine a visual inspection of the connectors on the top of the TB for corrosion (perhaps indicating a cleaning) based on Hawaii weather.

Good luck with your decision.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Zero TB issues on our (late 2011) 2012 v Five.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

My own observation is that the high-miles cars are ones that are being driven a lot from day one. The Prius seems to be able to absorb an amazing amount of regular use- but don't dawdle about getting it done.

I look at the traction batteries like they are an ice cream cone bought on a walk in the park. You can eat it fast, or you can eat it slow, share it or keep it to yourself. But no matter what, you really aren't going to be saving it for later.

12. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good purchase....my wife has a 2017 Prius 2 and she loves it! Yes, get that oil changed and then every 5,000 miles or 6-months. For my wife's car, I cleaned out the Throttle Body and MAF Sensor at 25,000 miles. At 5-years, I drained and filled the coolants in the radiator and traction battery and took under 2-gallons of Toyota Long Life coolant to refill. (Super easy job, there's a white and a yellow drain cock on the left side of the radiator that you use to drain.) I, also, drained and refilled her transmission fluid at 5-years...took 3.75 qts of Toyota World Standard (WS) fluid.
    I agree with holding off on the $1,200 job....if you drive it around a lot the system will charge those batteries (which are still under Toyota warranty)
    If you're not a DIY'er, it would be better spent doing the oil, coolant, transmission service.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No need.

My 2012 Prius v has not reached 32k miles and the battery is fine.

I would purchase a Scangauge 2 and monitor the 12volt, the ICE coolant temperature, the inverter coolant temperature and the HV battery temperature, as these are the major likely problem areas, if they ever develop.

Scan Gauge 2.JPG

#13 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    djasonw, Air_Boss and ColoradoBoo like this.
  14. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I've been driving the car daily and it's been a real gas saver! Not sure how accurate the average MPG reader is; but I'm getting about 51mpg to and from work (40 min commute).

A few things of note. Does this car really not have a cargo area light? That seems insane; am I missing a bulb somewhere? Haha!

The car is not the most quiet in cabin. Also, small sound like I'm driving over gravel when turning the wheel at low speeds; what the heck could that be?

15. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Oil change was tougher than I though. I had never used that type of Toyota/Lexus oil filter wrench before and I could not get it to budge. I couldn't even get the wrench off and had to drive to the shop with my tail between my legs haha!

Would you already recommend draining and filling the coolants? Someone else in this thread recommended that.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Usually it doesn't lie that badly. You will observe changes with seasonal temps and HVAC usage, you get used to that after a year or two.

I don't have the same car, but I thought there was one on the left side wall most of the way back? I only get to experience the v as a taxi or rideshare every now and then.

Wheel bearings.

17. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    2017 here with 45K in Wisconsin. Honest mpg is 35 in winter 45 in summer, lifetime average 42 mpg according to the "guess-o-meter". In reality that reads about 5% high, so 40 mpg is about right. The cargo light in mine (prius v 2) is on the lower left side, yea, kinda useless. The cabin noise for me is ok, but kinda loud on heavy cross or headwinds. Tail winds are awesome for quiet and mpgs, headwinds not so much.

As for oil changes I have never done them, the dealer does when they are on sale for 29.95 w/filter

I never did a coolant change. No issues for me so far, even @ 75-80 mph on an occasional 450 mile per day road trip.

Being retired I usually only do about 5,000 miles per year.

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Could be cv joints. Not common but a torn cv boot can lead to cv joint noise and failure. Which can be a very bad day as the car won’t move after a cv joint failure.

Road noise in general is high in a Prius as Toyota used almost no noise damping materials. Better tires like Michelin Defenders can make a noticeable difference in ride and road noise. In the meantime check your tire pressures and don’t overinflated based on the driver’s door jam sticker.

pickled_ogo likes this.
  19. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'll have to take it in to get checked. The noise sounds like it's coming from the interior of the car. It doesn't get any louder with the window open. Literally sounds like the interior is creaking. Very strange.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Steering shaft binding?