1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"New to me" 2021 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jds580s, Nov 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm picking up a 2021 Prime Limited on Monday and had some questions to help with my transition. I've previously owned both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prius.

1. Is there a procedure for resetting the Prime back to factory defaults? Things like clearing any previously paired phones, radio stations, seat memory, navigation waypoints, home address, Homelink garage opener codes etc..

2. I'm used to doing the "chicken dance" to disable the reverse beep from my 2nd gen. Reading elsewhere on the forums shows that a different solution is used for 4th gens, either Dr. Prius, Hybrid Assistant, or Techstream. Is Techstream the only option out of those that can also program a new key fob? (The vehicle only comes with one)

3. Lastly, are there any common issues I should keep an eye out for with the 4th gen and/or prime?

bisco likes this.
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    1. Is there a procedure for resetting the Prime back to factory defaults? Things like clearing any previously paired phones, radio stations, seat memory, navigation waypoints, home address, Homelink garage opener codes etc..

Easiest way without much tools is to disconnect the battery under the hood for 10 minutes. Make sure you don't have it plugged in. You may get some weirdness from the ICE, as it relearns set points for the ECU - but that should pass in about 25 miles of ICE operations.

2. I'm used to doing the "chicken dance" to disable the reverse beep from my 2nd gen. Reading elsewhere on the forums shows that a different solution is used for 4th gens, either Dr. Prius, Hybrid Assistant, or Techstream. Is Techstream the only option out of those that can also program a new key fob? (The vehicle only comes with one)

You'll need Dr. Prius or equivalent to reduce the reverse beep to a single beep. Ask the dealership to make the adjustment; worse they can do is to say No...

3. Lastly, are there any common issues I should keep an eye out for with the 4th gen and/or prime?

I haven't run into any, but there's rumblings about the 12 VDC battery not getting enough of a charge while operating. I haven't run into this, but I charge every-night and deplete my EV battery almost everyday. I've gone out of town for two weeks, and the car started right up. Do not leave the car charger plugged in, the CPU auto checks will draw down the 12VDC battery. I have checked my battery with a certified multi-meter and it does hover around 12.2 VDC. Most other daily driver car I've owned is usually >12.75 VDC.

Hope this helps....

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you decide to try a dealer for the reverse beep settings, check the manual first. There are other settings that can be changed only by them or an app.

5. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you all, those details are very helpful!

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To change some of the hidden settings for cheap, check the Carista app. I've subscribed for a month for a few dollars and adjusted some of the settings to my liking, like having the flasher flashing four times instead of three when half pressing the stick.