1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New (To Me) Black 2008 Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Prius_Cub, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally took the plunge and got a great deal on a used GenII 2008 Prius Package 2. Must say I fell in love with this car quite literally at first sight and being allowed to take it home for a couple days from the dealer sealed the deal!

So far after I first filled it up, I've driven 167 miles averaging 49.3 MPG! Must be doing something right with the cool Virginia weather. Can't wait til the weather warms up and I go on a trip for vacation to see what I can really do to eke every last mile out of every gallon. :)

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    excellent!...welcome...make sure tires are around 40-42psi which will help mileage...when filling it up...the gas tank has an expandable/contractable bladder inside the tank...so you will see different fill up values depending on how cold or hot it is outside...fill slowly...it has a tendency to "burb" gas out when it gets full...hence, after the 1st click off of the pump will probably suffice to prevent spillage on you and on the car...

3. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh I knew too much about the Prius before I even test drove one, in fact I drove my family crazy! Before I even signed the paperwork I took it by a local gas station on my way home from work one night JUST to pump up the tires. :LOL: Best of all it drives just like in my dreams!

4. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    btw...we tried pure gasoline...no ethanol ...mileage went from 42 to 51 ...dont know if you have any ethanol free gas stations around...we have 1 ...boy what a difference!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, I'll have to look for one of those around here to give that a try. I thought it was required in all gas?

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome and enjoy your new ride.

7. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! Looking forward to many years and miles out of this beauty.

8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Congratulations!! and welcome to the Prius family. Hey, 49.3 avg mpg from the beginning is pretty good. Was that through the MFD or manual calculations? Yeah, the way the car is driven makes all the difference. My wife gets 45, I get 50, and my son gets 60 in the same car. A detailed black car can make quite a statement. Congrats again.

9. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! I'm glad to finally be a part of the Prius family. The 49.3 was through the MFD, waiting for the end of the tank to get the hand calculations. Pulse and Glide is familiar to me since I've practiced a variation of it in my old Accord and managed to eke out 26 MPG versus 22 MPG according to the EPA. I want to get a block heater but I have no where to plug it in, lol.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on the new Prius and your great mpgs!!! You will grow to adore this car. I sometimes hug it...lol jk. :D

11. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PriusGuy32, I adored the Prius long before I got mine! Yes I did have serious Prius envy beforehand, now I'm suffering from the Prius grin! I'll probably make it almost 2 weeks before the next fill up. :D

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  12. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha Me too! I went to the NAIAS last year and was woo'ed by the Prius display at the Toyota area. Never thought I'd actually be driving one but this last September the ol' SUV was starting to nickel and dime me and at 15mpg the decision became clear. Alas, it was Prius time! :D

You will love PriusChat too. Theres a store here that sells some really cool Prius accessories. Plus there are a lot of expert write up's here and great tips to make your Pri experience the best.

13. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome to the Prius family. Nothing like an 08, package 2. Still have ours (daughter drives it) - we just added the 2012 (wife claims it) to the stable. I'd go for a third (for me) if I could figure out how to pull it off. I just keep filling up the crew cab F-series. At least the rest of my family does their part to offset my carbon footprint. :D

If you want to know how close an ethanol-free gas pump might be, look for an app for your smart phone called PureGas. It uses your current location to guide you to the nearest available station. There aren't many in Virginia, but there are a few. I haven't tried using non-ethanol in my Prii, but do use it in my 24 year-old T-Bird SC (it hates ethanol, but loves the 93 octane pure) and for all my gas-powered lawn and garden equipment.