1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New (to me) Classic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveGoodrich, Sep 27, 2007.

1. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I'm a new member and just thought I'd introduce myself. I just bought an '01 with about 100k miles on it. I am the third owner. The second owner bought it as a Toyota Certified used car, from the dealer that originally sold the car new.

I am loving it so far. I commute about 40 miles each way on SoCal freeways, and I have averaged just over 50mpg for the last two tanks. Based on what I have read here, that seems pretty good considering most of that driving is at 60 to 75 mph. Not much AC use in that time though (maybe 10%).

It has carpool stickers, which has already added about 5 hours of meaningful time to my life in the last two weeks. :D

I have all service records since about 25k, and all seems in order except I see no record of a transaxle fluid change (which isn't surprising since it wasn't originally recommended). I plan to change it out this weekend. I changed the oil to 0W-30 Castrol Syntec full synthetic last weekend at 100k miles. I will probably use 10K oil change intervals with the full synthetic.

I am a "car guy," and I am not afraid to get into working on it myself to keep it going. Any other recommendations for service I should perform at this milage? I bought a PCV valve, but getting access to the old one seems like a real PITA. All I know is that it is supposed to be on the drivers side rear of the valve cover, but it must be under the wiring harness, which seems really hard to get out of the way. Anyone have any hints?

I have been reading the site (and others) to learn what I can about the technology, mods, driving techniques, etc.. Lots of great info here. I love forums where there is an obvious "community" behind the web site. This is obviously one of those.

I hope I can contribute some useful info someday.

Dave Goodrich

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

There's also a large group of Classic Owners over at the Yahoo! site.

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Welcome and congrats on the new Classic. One member has 322,000 miles (or more by now - will see him tomorrow), so you should have no issues. Enjoy the ride!

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Dave.

PCV valve thread, and its ancestral one:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;hl=pcv+valve

As a trans fluid first-timer, I suggest you also get the pan gasket so the pan can be cleaned and inspected. Consider saving 4 oz. or so of the old fluid in a clean bottle for possible chemical analysis.

Look under the engine air filter for soot around the throttle butterfly.

Strictly speaking, in CA your spark plugs should have already been replaced, but let's find out. Anyway it might be nice to extract them and put some antisieze on the threads.

Any record of SSC 60G or TSB EG011-03? A coupla my favorites.

You could pull the rear brake drums and inspect. The spare tire hold-down bolt can be used to displace the brake drum off. A little factoid. Basically there is so little to do, that we have to dream up maintenance suggestions.

A washable electrostatic cabin air filter?

If your VIN ends with <35000, maybe someday we will have a chat about accelerator pedal function.

5. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Thanks for the suggestions tochatihu.

I was a good boy and used the search function to find those threads on the PCV valve when I was looking at it last weekend. Even with that info in hand, I still didn't find the pcv to be easy to get to. I didn't try removing the cowl, however. I'll give it another look this weekend. Also, its not clear whether those threads are discussing the Classic, or only the HSD Prius. Would the PCV be in the same place regardless?

Yes, I was planning on getting a gasket and cleaning the transaxle pan. What kind of container should I use for the oil sample?

Spark plugs were changed at 82K, as was the Cabin Air Filter.

I will look at the throttle plate. If there is soot, does that imply a plugged PCV?

SSC 60G was done recently, at 97K. No record of TSB EG011-03, what is that? Can I just go to a Toyota dealer and ask them to check which required services (recalls, TSBs, etc.) have been done and which still need to be done? Is there no place on-line where I can look up what TSB's are required for my vehicle? I would guess that everything that was supposed to have been done has been done since this Prius was serviced at the dealer exclusively.

I will check my VIN when I get home from the conference I am at.

Thanks again,
    Dave