1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New (to me) Prius & a long drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by miscrms, Sep 10, 2007.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I've officially entered little kid waiting for christmas mode :)

After a year of reading & researching EVs and PHEVs I'm finally picking up our new Prius this Friday. I just kind of realized that I know a lot more about the HV system, transaxle, and CAN bus at this point than I do about things like how to start it :) We're getting an '05 driftwood pearl, side airbags, HID, leather, with about 16k miles. I'll be driving it back from Southern Indiana to Phoenix, about 1800 miles over this coming weekend. Probably sleeping in the car on the trip.

I'm sure the seller will give me a good run down on the basics, but any recommendations from the list for my maiden voyage?

Tips on mileage maximizing, features, gadgets, sleeping in Prii or anything else a new owner spending 2+ solid days behind the wheel (or links to threads on the like) would be most welcome and appreciated!

Rob

Tee-hee, its almost christmas! :rolleyes:

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the Prius!
    I would suggest that, when you do get into your new car for that road trip home, turn OFF the MFD...
    Just drive it. Really. No MPG games, no watching the energy or consumption screen. Just drive it. Listen to it. Notice when the ICE starts, and when it stops. Get used to the braking, and the acceleration, and the handling.
    1800 miles is almost perfect for breaking in a new owner :D

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New owner advice:

Obtain and read the Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide.

When the last pip on the gas gauge starts flashing it means buy gas right now dammit, so on the highway you don't want to let it get that low.

Don't rely on the headlights to shut themselves off.

4. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the comments!

-Headlights off manually, check.

-Gas up before last pip, check.

-Downloaded OM, Maintenance Schedule and Pocket guide, will read on plane trip out, check.

Turning off the MFD may be tough, its so fun to watch!! Of course I'll probably end up right up the backside of a semi while my eyes are glued to the screen :rolleyes: Between the MFD, the laptop, the gps, the cellphone and the ipod I'll be lucky if I have a chance to look at the road at all! :lol: <kidding of course>

Thanks,
    Rob

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 11 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]510792[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you download the OM and pocket guide from?

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Make sure the tires are inflated properly. I like 40 PSI front, 38 Rear, others use 42 front, 40 rear. These are both above the door sticker numbers. You get better mileage this way, and the car handles better. Don't forget the spare tire pressure as well. Just in case.

Check the oil. If it's due for changing, do so before the trip. It only takes 20 min. You won't need oil on the trip. Prius doesn't use it up.

Avoid T-storms if you can. The aluminum hood is easy to dint with hail. If you have the original Goodyear Integrity tires, do slow down in heavy rain. They aren't the best when they start to wear a bit.

Enjoy the drive.

7. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that when it gets hot (especially since you are driving to Arizona), don't skimp on using the air conditioning. The HV battery pack is cooled with cabin air, so the AC isn't just for keeping us humans comfortable. ;)

Also remember to check that the car has been turned off after you park your Prius. There are instances where some owners with the Smartkey fob (the one you don't need to insert into the dash to start the car) forgot to turn off the car after parking it for the night, and return the next morning to find that their battery has run down.

Oh, and bring a digital camera, take lots of photos, and post them here. B)

Congrats on getting your new Prius, good luck, and enjoy your road trip!

8. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Sep 11 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]510797[/snapback]</div>
    Had to buy a $15 subscription at Tundra Solutions:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/local_links/links/26

Rob

9. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's intended for new cars but it might be helpful to take with you a copy of the delivery checklist:
    http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html

That version is good for 2005 except you probably won't get any valet cards from the seller, but you can get them here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=6546

Some people find the seat uncomfortable, so consider taking a small pillow or cushion in case you need back support.

If you lock the car it will give a warning beep if any of the doors or the hatch are ajar. This prevents one common means of draining the 12V battery.

10. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's intended for new cars but it might be helpful to take with you a copy of the delivery checklist:
    http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html

That version is good for 2005 except you probably won't get any valet cards from the seller, but you can get them here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=6546

Some people find the seat uncomfortable, so consider taking a small pillow or cushion in case you need back support.

If you lock the car it will give a warning beep if any of the doors or the hatch are ajar. This prevents one common means of draining the 12V battery.

11. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, so far so good! I love people who leave their wireless networks unsecured B)

Pulled of for dinner in Benton, Missouri. Made 46.8mpg on my first tank (328 mi, 3 pips lit). Very pleased, for 70+ highway driving with lots of hills. Favorite mode so far is what I'm calling the "Electric Glide". Slowly decelerate up to the top of a long hill, so that the engine is powering and charging the battery. Get to the top with green bars, give it a pulse to pick up a little speed, then let up and press slightly. Once or twice I've been able to glide at 75, but usually it comes on electric power only all the way down the next hill and picking up speed for the next climb. I don't know how efficient it is, but its really cool! :rolleyes:

Here's a few pics....

[attachmentid=11463]
    [attachmentid=11462]
    [attachmentid=11464]

I'll check in when I can!

Thanks,
    Rob

Attached Files:

12. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    General tips: Arrows from the battery to the wheels are bad, unless your above 41 miles per hour and are performing "warp stealth".
    When I first got the car, I tried to put it in "ev mode" and accelerated based on the instant MPG figures on the screen. Learn from me and accelerate like normal, trying to keep the instant mpg about 1/2 of your mph.

The best state to be in is where there are no arrows going anywhere. ("glide/stealth/neutral mode")

also, drive so you avoid hitting the brakes. If you see a light turn red ahead, take that foot off the accel and regen or glide to the light :p

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I live away from the highway and thieves who steal internet.

14. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 10 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]510286[/snapback]</div>
    Really?? What year is your Prius? This is the first time I hear of this.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 10 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]510281[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps too late but you might consider doing a compare and contrast:
    1. MPG vs MPH - using two hour segments, measure the MPG at different cruise control settings. Be sure to record estimated wind speed, direction relative to travel and temperature.
    2. Cruise Control vs Manual - using your best 'manual' method, compare it to the equivalent cruise control mileage.
    We've also been doing a study of transaxle oil but don't have any "new" car wear patterns mapped out. If you would be interested in contributing samples, send me a PM and we'll discuss what it takes. We're interested in finding out how wear materials and viscosity changes over time for the NHW20 Prius. I'm doing that now for Type WS in an NHW11 but there was some residual oil from the Amsoil ATF (NOT RECOMMENDED!!) test.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 15 2007, 04:15 AM) [snapback]512935[/snapback]</div>
    In the USA, there are so many free sites that for the cost of a quality coffee, access is free. I often plan my trips to find a pull-off at a college town and then ask students where the free wireless coffee shop is. In the USA South, Krystals offers free wireless but you have to come inside. Again, a cuppa and bite to eat and when your done, hit the road again. In fact, I think Google even maps out the wireless businesses.

What is funny is Starbucks and some of the wireless spots try to charge a connect fee. Those are also places where you don't find customers with laptops. But the places that offer it free to customers have a clustering of laptops.

As for wireless security, the ultimate is signal strength control. I have a shield between my home unit and the street. My mom's wireless is in the basement and barely detected at the curb in front of her house. But inside the house we have great coverage.

Bob Wilson

16. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! I'm still alive, and somewhere in Oklahoma :)

Sleeping in truck stops is definately for the birds though <_<

Second tank was 47.7, a little better! I pumped the tires up from 30/30 to 42/40 which probably helped. Similar speeds, mostly 70-80, and still lots of hills! The barometric alt in my gps says I've climbed and descended about 9000 ft on each tank so far. Who would have thought that trucks and construction would be my new best friends :rolleyes: Have found following or being followed by semis is one of my preferred modes of transit so far. They have hill climbing decelerations that are closer to what I'm trying to maintain, so I'm not preasured to gun it. Coming through two 5 min 55mph construction zones I saw 55-60 mpg bars on the consumption display! I'm sure I could be averaging over 50mpg if I could go a little slower, but have to be at work on monday :(

Doing well on free internet so far B) 2 for 2 on open wireless next to fast food!

Rob

BTW, I think warp stealth is the right name what I'm doing. I kind of like electric glide though :rolleyes:

~75mph, down a slight incline, showing only orange bars from e motor to wheels. Like it! Other than that, really just taking it easy on the uphills, drafting (at safe distance) some, pulsing and coasting a little. Have only seen anything less than full blue or green bars a few times when driving around town / paring lots on EV.

Very happy with the mileage so far give the speed, and that I've already covered ~800 miles on ~$35 worth of gas :D

Rob

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 15 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]512935[/snapback]</div>
    I chose to leave my wireless open for others to use. Now that I have been told not to, I can't seem to find a way to 'close' it.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 15 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]513021[/snapback]</div>
    Find the option that says "Allow Broadcast" (or similar wording) and UNcheck the box. You only need to broadcast your wireless if you're setting up and need your laptop/desktop to find it and connect to it. Once it's connect, it'll know where to look so you can stop the broadcasting.

20. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 15 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]512935[/snapback]</div>
    Anyway, allow me to explain. There are multiple facets of that bumper sticker :p
    First, haven't you seen Pirates of the Caribbean? In the trilogy, Jack Sparrow seeks not gold and plunder, but FREEDOM through his control of his Black Pearl (which happens to be naming of the various colors - they all end in pearl). Thus, I choose to interpret it as free people of the Internet, making their own path in the world, and not succumbing to the "horrible cars" of the English Trading Company.

Anyway, since I sorta majored in Information Security, I hear all about hackers all the time at my job (even though that's not what I do at my job). Which got me thinking, hackers can be both good and bad, and the term pirates to some degree can also be synonymous with the term hackers. And there you have it, a pirate of the internet can also be a hacker of the Internet. Keep in mind, that hackers was originally a "good" term to use for people that could fix problems in computer code.

And finally, the pirate that pirates software/music/movies. Most people have downloaded songs from Napster/kazaa/emule/bearshare/limewire/bittorrent/gnutella or what have you. That makes half the world a pirate of the Internet :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 15 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]513034[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't work if a person has scanner software that scans the channels. I know that dell notebooks come with software that shows "hidden" access points.